Monday, January 29, 2007

The anatomy of a cat quilt

I will attempt to explain my cat charm quilt & some of the things that I think/thought about when makeing it.
similar yet different Some of the fabric lines come in different color ways. Here you see bright & natural. I chose to use the same kitty to emphasize the fact that they are similar but different.

different fabrics different scenes On the same line of thought, using this selection, I chose different views from this line of fabric. (The red & yellow prints also had a cat hiding behind an URN as shown on the blue print, etc.)

In general, I tried to keep the "similar but different" prints in differnt "blocks." This was not hard for those two examples because there were only 2 and 3 prints, but I have quite a few Nancy Wolf prints and Catberry Tales prints... I was moderately successful in regards to that goal.

I also tried to vary the scale of my prints - so there are some tiny prints, that you could make into a charm with out fussy cutting. Most of them did require special cutting & I few even required my deliberat selection of jut the "front" of the cat...

I have other prints that were WAY to big in scale for this project. I was considering using then in the setting triangles, but decided against that as grain is more important - "Whoa did I say that?" I even considered using them on the back, but I got a scrumptious flannel instead!

I also managed to avoid using my 30's kitties at all! They are my least favorite... & I have some "new" prints that also did not make it into this quilt, so I am lamenting a little...

general 1/2 layout for cat charm quilt Here is almost 1/2 of the layout - complete with Quilt Inspector, Rhapsody.

The cat charm top exploded & here is the same view exploded - so you can see the 9 patches ans 25 patches. The points of the 9- patches will be at the edge of the quilt while the points of the 25 patches will "float." I would have needed a 36 patch for them all to meet at the edge... I only figured that out when I layed it out... Oh well, it will still be quilt...

I hope you enjoy this glimpse into my insanity...

Oh and when I compare this endeavour to my last cat charm quilt, I see some from the old one that are not in this one... The quest is eternal!

As I ahev said before, no kitty print will be turned away from my doorstep. Meow >^..^<

23 comments:

Melzie said...

wow I love seeing the variety Amy :) Thanks for showing off some of your faves! xoxo melzie

cher said...

how much fun your charm cat quilt blocks are! Glad you have hung in there and look forward to seeing the completed top Amy.

joyce said...

I have never seen so many different cat fabrics in my life. Wow. It will be an amazing quilt. I can't wait to see it finished.

Libby said...

Your collection continues to boggle my mind *s* It it clear you are having a great time and that's what it's all about. We will all be raving over the finished quilt before you know it.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That's a great quilt that will be a treasure in your family for years. I love the picture with the cat! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about exercising, while ironing. I hear you, quilters are known for not getting exercise. I bought a treadmill and I'm a big fan of movies, so I watch my movies while on the treadmill. It was hard getting started doing that, but, not I'm in a groove, and really look forward to exercise/movie time.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

All the cats, colors and fabric your quilt is going to be great!

Chris said...

If that was on my floor and one of my two cats came across it they would proceed to scatter the pieces everywhere! You have a well behaved kitty. Just love all your cat fabrics.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Fabulous! I love this!! These types of quilts are my absolute favorites; lots to look at and find. Great job!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Would you like some more cats for your charm collection? I'm sure I could help! ;)

Fiona said...

Fascinating - seeing the charms makes me want to go out and start collecting something, anything. How do you keep track of all the different fabrics whilst you're collecting them? Do you write them down or just keep them all in a box?

Cynthia said...

wow! what a collection of cat fabrics. I have enjoyed looking at each photo you posted.

Tricia said...

I recognize a lot of those prints, but my kitty collection will never rival yours ! Happy birthday..we miss you at "cats-n-quilt"

Carol said...

Oh my gosh, I love it. As far as I'm concerned one cannot have too much kitty material. It's all good. This will be spectacular. I love that Rhapsody is the quilt inspector, probably trying to find her own picture in there!!

Shelina said...

You have some great cat fabric. I haven't made a charm quilt, but I have worked on novelty fabric, and it is a lot of fun to put it all together, once the hard part of cutting is over. I hope you enjoy yours.

Beth said...

you put the "c" in cat and collector. Bravo!

Nancy said...

I love seeing your cat charms. Some I have and so many I don't. One day I'll do something with my collection. For now I just take it out occasionally, pet it, and put it back away.

Linda_J said...

Lots and lots of neat kitty fabrics. I have some but near what you have in your blocks! What fun!

ruth said...

I loved seeing all the different cats. Thank you for the show!

anne bebbington said...

Amy - I might have a handful of cat prints in my stash that you're welcome to a bit of - they might duplicate what you have already or not - email me to give me your details etc and I'll post you them to add to your collection :o)

Carol said...

I have nevr in my life seen so many cat fabrics...looks great!

Danielle said...

I love it, and I am not a huge fan of cats. It's so pretty and colorful!

Kay said...

Wonderful fabrics, Amy. What fun!

Rian said...

This will be some quilt! Love the cat fabrics!