Monday, January 29, 2007

The anatomy of a cat quilt

Just a small sampling (Small being relative.):
tourist kitty A tourist kitty in Hawaii with a camera! (For Barb!)

x-ray kitty An X-ray kitty - If you have made an alphabet quilt, you will know how hard it is to find "X" pictures... This print kind of creeps me out, but...

a cat viewing her Image "I" is another hard letter to find, so this kitty is looking at her image.

cat on TV Cat on TV - I have quite a few prints by this designer, Nancy Wolf. I tried to not have more that one in each block... Do you see the tiny kitties next to this print - I think varying scale is important...

Tonkinese cat This kitty looks just like my little girl cat, Rhapsody. The word next to this kitty is Tonkinese - her breed! Very clever...

do you see the cat on the mug This was not a cat print, rather a novelty print of coffee mugs, one of which has a cat on it. BTW the newspaper print next to the coffee mugs (we all crink coffee & read the paper, right?) is a new paper article about Terry Tonkinese... I read quite a bit of that "paper" to find the Tonkinese reference.

cat in a bakery Again this was not a cat print, rather a bakery print. Luckily the bakery has a shop cat.

knitty kitty Knitty Kitty - this is as close to knitting as I will get. (remind me if I ever get to close... I have a TON of cat fabric to use before starting a yarn stash.)

a halloween calico cat print One Halloween print, I am sharing it because of the calico cat!

cat with a walkman! This cat is litening to a walkman - will my kids even know what a walkman is? The print itself is too old for the kitty to be listening to an Ipod!

kitten on a dog Kitty on a puppy - for all of you dog lovers!

the back of a cat The back of a cat - to add variety to the images!

Asian kitty This is one of my favorite prints, that is a cat all curled up into a ball sleeping... There are alos Temari balls on the print - so if you are not looking closely, you will miss the kitties!

Alexander Henry's nap cats Another of my most favored cat prints. The is "Cat Nap" by Alexander Henry. It came in 4 colorways & I am lucky enough to have one of each for my charm quilt. (I lucked out on my first charm quilt in that respect too - as I have NEVER seen the green for sale.) Unfortunately for me, these came onto the market right before I started to quilt. I got a little bit at my LQS, but I did not know "how to shop" so I did not get enough... I did get lucky though, Keepsake Quilting "found" a bolt in blue after the fabric had been out a while - I bought a lot when I saw it that time! Also I have seen this on Ebay for over $20 per yard! Jane, this is the "all Siamese" print...

8 comments:

May Britt said...

You got a big collection of cat prints. And they are so fun to see. Do you have any print of abyssinian cats???

martha said...

wow Amy, Catfabulous:)

ForestJane said...

Awww, I want some of that siamese print... :)

But not enough to pay $20 per yard for it!

Shelina said...

I like that it says "calico" underneath Tonkinese kitty, although it will probably get hidden in the seam.

Holly said...

Wow, what a treasure trove of kitty prints. I didn't realize there were so many out there. That's going to be one special quilt.

Carolyn said...

I had NO idea that there were so many cat prints available! I've used the Laurel Burch cats and have one other in my stash...and it belongs to my daughter. Looks great!

jandofabrics said...

Great and very fun quilt. I love to see what fabric can turn into. Look forward to seeing your next project.

Nice work!

woof nanny said...

Adorable fabrics. I love the ABC idea--a quilt where it isn't obvious.