Wednesday, January 17, 2007

1 Last post this morning

I just figured out my oops in calculation on my cat charm quilt! (& the tiny bit about statistics that I know from my class last night came into play!)

Firstly, last night we lad a lecture that included levels of measurement - one of which is "interval-ordinal" - like when you ask several paople their ages - there is a real number difference between the numbers... Well when you are making a charm quilt, there is also a difference between needing 733 & 926 charms... I am going for a square, not a rectangle...

Luckily I made 2 extra 9-patches & not 2 extra 25 patches.... Easier to add to rather than take away... Oh and I set aside 32 singles - now I only need ot set aside 25 singles - which will in turn give me enough pairs & 4 patches... (The lack of enough pairs was my heads up that "Something was Awry in the State of Denmark" last weekend when I stopped to count what I had pieced...)

Why does she need pairs and 4 patches for 25 patches, I start by piecing everything into pairs (minus the 25 singles - since 25 is not even) & then I piece those into 4-patches. However, only the 16 patch will use ony 4-patches, so I also set aside several pairs (4 pairs for each 25 patch) So I take the 4-patches and piece them into a 16 patch, then I add on a "row" of 4, I then add on a row of 5, finally creating a 25 patch - I don't know if that made a hill of beans worth of sense, but it works for me. (I prefer units to rows...) So for the twenty five 25 patches, I need: 25 singles, 100 pairs & 100 4-patches. - I already have 2 extra 9-patches, so I need to "do the math" again to fix them & still have the numbers for the rest...

4 comments:

cher said...

your approach math wise cracks me up Amy! However, it is exactly what I might do too...so you have company in that math approach. Good for you to figure out what was going wrong!

susan said...

How confusing is that? I am glad you know what you are doing!

I remember asking you what a charm quilt is, and I believe you said 4 inch squares, none alike. Yours is looking good!

Maybe you should teach the stats class!

Holly said...

Run that by me again, you lost me - lol. Whatever you say, Amy. It's going to be perfect!

Libby said...

Sometimes the math is overwhelming - I have to take it in little tiny bites.