Wednesday, December 27, 2006

What would you do?

Ideas needed/wanted being solicited.

Background - many of you may be aware of the fact that hands down Jan Mullen is my favorite fabric designer. One of her fabric lines is Bohemian Melodiez. (I have 7 pieces - including 10 yards of one for a King back.) I was thinking about doing a Turning Twenty Around the Block by: Tricia Cribbs quilt. As you can see, there is a space for a fussy cut fabric or block within each TT block. You may also have noticed the brightness of the fabrics in question....

Here is (are) my question (s):

What would you put in the centers?
1. Naturally colored cats - fussy cut fabric - high contrast
2. pieced cats - again naturally colored
3. a variety of cats that sort of match like this one, or this one?
4. cats pieced out of similar fabrics
5. a variety of fussy cut black & white cats
6. black on white pieced cats
7 something else...

Also....
I got a copy of Denyse Schmidts Quilts (I blogged a copy of her free pattern earlier.) I got 6 of her fabrics with which I am going to make that free quilt (Flea Market Fancy or Hop, Skip & Jump - dpeneding on whether or not you bought the book - tee hee.) - makes you wonder why I bought the book, huh? (I really like the soft sculpture cat - not that I plan on making it anytime soon. & a couple of her other quilts.)
I got this fabric brown with small flowers & 5 to go with it - including this one with a lot of white (I hope those hyperlinks show two different fabrics.), so my pondering is this - in the book she mixed reds (pre-fabric line apparently) with plain white muslin & it is very effective; however, as you can see in the free pattern, she mixed limes & turquoises with brown prints. If you did not have the limes and turquoises & your mix of prints was on the brown side including this one in gold - what would you use with it? Muslin? Would that be o.k. with the polka dots on white?
(FYI I was originally going to do a YBR by Atkinson Designs & be done with it.... But now I have the book....)

Anyone else "into" the Flea Market Fancy "look?" (I file Amy Butler & Kaffe Fasset in that same group.)

Yes, once again this is more just me yakking about my dandylion ideas.... You see while the Jan Mullen fabrics are so me - the Flea Market Fancy was purchased because I saw other people like Jan at Be*Mused had some... So I wanted some too... (I can say the same thing about Robyn Pandolf, and a few others...) Sigh, it is a hard life...

7 comments:

Jules said...

Amy Butler is my favorite fabric designer, so I guess I am in the flea market group. And I finally found a local shop that carries her stuff.

Cynthia said...

After looking at the fabrics you are going to use for the Turning Twenty around the Block quilt i would piece black cats but i'm not sure about the white background you suggested. I would may be use a yellow background or pick up another color that's used in the fabrics.

This is just my opinion. You have to be happy with what you are doing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide and to see this quilt when you make it.

Debra Spincic said...

I learned a long time ago--do what you want and forget about asking for opinions!

Kay said...

For the cats, I would piece black and white cats, or as Cynthia said, maybe pick up a color. Good pattern; I like it better than the regular Turning Twenty.

I'm not in the flea market group, so can't help you there. I just don't get brown and turquoise as a combination.

Barb said...

I'm diggin' that turning twenty pattern, and the whimsical quality of the fabric you chose. I'm with Debra though--asking opinions can be misleading. I always get question marks and heads shaking no when I go with my gut...then everyone ends up liking the outcome. It's a matter of being able to "see" the end product. Have you ever done paper collage? It might be really cool to take a bunch of fussy cuts, collage them all onto center squares in a jumble (just fused and raw edged), and then freehand quilt all over the top. It would be unique. Might be wonderful. Use some varegated thread even.

Morah said...

Looks like we're both in the same boat....What to do????Oh! What to do! If you're like me, you'll ask for opinions and then do what you want anyway!

Karen said...

OH. Just love the Flea Market Fancy fabrics SO MUCH. Glad you got some and that we can see the blocks/quilt later on. 'Cuz I don't have any of it so sad (!)