Friday, December 29, 2006

My last post in 2006 (I think)

Well, last night, I finally "emptied" the last tub of fabric & sorted it by color onto my last shelf in the closet! YAY! & Where/When did I get that or that or even THAT? Very sad & a tad bit scary. (That was a goal for November - I think.)


I also took that time to "inventory" (Minimal glance, nothing substantial that included opening the tubs on my book case....) of my UFO's, WIPS, & PIGS. (UFO = UnFinished Object, WIPS = Work In ProgresS, PIGS = Project In Grocery Sack) Those definitions vary by the person but for me a WIPS is something that I am actually working on right now, A UFO is something that I have worked on in the past - incl. about 4 items that just need BORDERS, and a PIGS is something that I haven't actually started beyond gathering patterns and fabric.


During my lunch hours on Wednesday & Thursday, I made a begining spreadsheet - listing the things that I could think of right away... I even color coded it & included hidden notes....


Which brought me to the question:


What does it mean when I do not remember my BAQ? (I took a class with Mimi Dietrich for a whole year on it, I completed no less than 11 blocks on it, etc.) (BAQ = Baltimore Album Quilt)


I was also saddened by the fact that I know that I have some patterns, books, & magazines with projects that I like, that are not on my list....


Anyone interested in the number of projects on my spreadsheet? I have already logically minimized my list, because some of the items on my list are secondary & tertiary projects - those will be made using the scraps of other projects! Therefore, I could logically only work with Pink, Brown, taupe, hot pink, orange, & Raspberry (My text color selections are far to limited...) and make about 13 quilts! You see, I plan to make Quiltville's Star Struck with pink, brown & cream and then use those scraps to make a Lady of the Lake quilt (only simpler than that one & maybe less scrappy - oh I probably should have warned you about that, huh?) & a charm style quilt & maybe even use the scraps I generate form those with some of my taupe scraps to make a HST quilt like this one seen last year the the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show. Note: Taupe is a style of fabric not a color - you can see what I mean at Pinwheels.


Oh yeah, back to the number.... 80 Including one that will be repurposed into probably 2 quilts - maybe only one, we'll see & a couple very general concept pieces - not to mention the 12x12x12 project that I am allowing my muse to dictate monthly... I know what I am doing for January. I did not; however, list my flimsys. (I send my quilts out for quilting - so for me & my quilts, they are done once they are tops with borders, ahem - I know I mentioned that I have at least 4 that only need borders..... There are a few on my list that I will try to do myself, but not many - most will be or are too big!)


This might suprise some of you (not many) but the cat theme takes up the most of my projects. And includes everything from 4 store bought kits to a charm quilt! I even have some (at least 5) that are not in the cat column, but will feature cats! Many others will have some cat fabrics - just not prominently (I use them as "blue" if they read "blue".)


My list also includes 1 "YEAH RIGHT" project (complete kit) that I purchased at Jinny Beyer's shop. You can see it here: Barcelona. And a NOT YET that you can see here: Wheel of Mystery (I got the pre-cut kit & the "I'm still afraid of curves" on that one.) Oh and quite a few "Why isn't that done yet?" projects... Like a floating 4 patch - easy peasy & probably completely cut out. I know the 4 patches are sewn together...


HMMMM Something to think about while my inner dandylion takes flight to another project/idea/theme/etc.


Wishing you all a happy & safe transition to 2007! I'll sleep through it & I am off work until 01-03-07. So I'll see you all (unless you comment or e-mail me) on Thursday. Hopefully I will be quilting since I won't be blogging...

22 comments:

Norma said...

Thanks for the link to the floating 4 patch quilt. I have some 4 patch units made from left over Christmas fabrics (from projects that I made as Christmas gifts this year) that I didn't know what to do with. I think this may be just the pattern for those patches. I am not sure if this means I have another UFO or if I am just being thrifty and not throwing those bits out! *LOL*

susan said...

I love to read about all your projects, you are very ambitious! And all the links are great, things to see and do. And a spreadsheet of your projects - how organized! Good luck with your goals.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!

jpquilter said...

now that my knit bag is drying, I am off to my sewing space to sort and ponder my own projects - I did some serious purging a year ago so my list will be much smaller than yours but I still love the process of pulling things out and make a list
happy new year
juliann

ForestJane said...

Looks like you've been busy!

Laying the future projects out like that makes the amount of work left to do look a bit daunting - or like me, you need to try to weed out the dandelions and stop things growing like weeds!

One of my resolutions for next year is to NOT start new quilts till I finish some - like you, I have some projects that need only borders, and some that need the backing, or blocks finished. But only ONE unfinished quilt.

Debra Spincic said...

Sometimes it is just a good idea to get a handle on what really is looming in that stash closet!

Fiona said...

Happy New Year - my resolution is to get organised like you! Mainly because I think if I'm better organised I'll have more time. Good job I'm not a gambling woman because the chances of me achieving this are very remote.

Faith said...

wow so great to know there are other quilters out there with a million to one quilt ideas in their mind or quite a few in progress so im not the mad one after all. Materials are so so precious to me so I try not to throw anything out... any materials that I just cannot stand have ended up in a hooked rug,,,, either an all cotton clipper rug or an all woollen rug. Now that im starting on new projects again to do with quilting I am actually starting to build up exciting colours. its been great reading about you and i will keep popping to see your latest quilt dream ideas and ambitions
have a happy new year
faith

quiltpixie said...

Hope that either 1) listing the projects helps you "go at them" or 2)in the coming year you become "settled" with being a dandylion and can be at peace with your numbers of projects :-) -- there really is nothing wrong with lots of projects in various states, IF they are (or have) served their purpose of leisure entertainment (or substitute any goal of quilting you like here....) :-)

Laurie Ann said...

Wow, your list makes me want to take a nap now. :) You have a lot on the burner. But I'll bet once I start my own, I'll be surprised at how many I have out there! :0

Mary said...

That pink and brown quilt was my favorite one from last year's Mid Atlantic Quilt show and is on my to do list one of these days.

I also keep a spreadsheet but mainly have a sheet that lists the quilts as they get quilted each year whether they are mine or someone else's, donated quilts and afghan's, my UFO's and WIP's and since last year my Stash fabric used.

I'm putting away fabric right now and I started folding it all neatly to fit my new shelves using my ruler but realized that if I want to have Keith help me set up the longarm before he leaves on the 2nd of January I need to just put it on the shelf for now and get the boxes out of the room.

Jules said...

Happy New Year, a little early!

I am going to make a spreadsheet as I finish cleaning up my sewing room this week. That is a great idea.

Libby said...

Happy New Year to you. Love the quilt all from hst's. So many possibilities.

Sweet P said...

You have quite the list of projects! Whew!! My list has 16 started projects on it and about 6 - 8 Wish List projects on it. Good luck on working on your projects! I'll stay tuned to see your progress.

sammy_bunny said...

That list made me laugh because it is so familiar! Rest assured, you are not alone.

suzanne said...

I'm finding that if I let things sit long enough, I don't actually end up wanting to make the original project -- I end up making something completely different. I can't decide if I want to go take stock of my UFOs and WIPs and PIGS and everything else or just let myself continue on in blissful ignorance....good luck with all of your projects!

Samantha said...

Happy New Year, and good luck tackling the Wips/Pigs/Ufos!!

Karen said...

Wow, just loved reading about your organizing and the project listing within your spreadsheet; wish we could see more. I have to read this post again when I get back from jogging; am trying to usher myself out the front door just now. Have fun quilting on your free days!

Beth said...

Hey, I'm like Jules, I love the spread sheet idea.

And yeah, the Winding Ways/Quilt of Mystery can be daunting, but once you get into it, it's great.

I love Jinny Beyer, too. She is something else. One day, I'm gonna take a workshop in D.C. and then I can come and have coffee with you and the cat.

Shelina said...

Happy New Year Amy. I too have a spreadsheet, and have had on my resolution for several years to finish them all. Then I got nicer to myself and now I say I could start one for every two finished. It is just so much easier to start something else isn't it?
I think a spreadsheet is a great idea. It helps you see that progress is being made. I know that I tend to forget quilts after they are finished. Oh yeah, I have my finished quilts on the spreadsheet done too, and I finish 60% of my quilts I started, so it doesn't seem all too bad.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Dream big sister!!
How do you fit in work?
happy New Year and happy planning, tracey

Ruth said...

Sounds like you have enough projects to keep you going for the next year at least! Hope your new year brings you lots of sewing time.

Kay said...

Happy New Year, Amy. I enjoyed reading your project list. I've never thought about counting up my PIGs. Good thing, I think. Then there are the ones that exist only in the head, as you know. Have fun. What better way to spend a few days off.