Wednesday, December 27, 2006

heat.....

With our weather all a flutter - we have been in or near the 60's one day and close to 40 the next...

So I have no idea how to dress...

When I am home I like the internal temp. to be on the cool side of comfortable so that I can snuggle in a quilt (not exactly conducive to quilting, but....) with a couple of heat seeking cats!

Yesterday, I worked while my husband stayed home. When I got home it was like a blast form a furnace! (Our condo fees cover the heating and air conditioning - so there is no direct correlation between 80 degrees in the condo and $400 on the bill. Thankfully from a budget standpoint but unfortunate also...) So the thermostat was adjusted and we went to bed.

My boy cat will burrow under the blankets in any weather...

Over the period of sleep, the condo cooled measurably. It took serious hunger to get one kitty out of bed and at the trough. I was still in bed - it was too cold to get out from under my quilt & too early (I have some snooze time built in...)

Once RB got done eating, he ran back for some more "knee tent" time under my quilt. How can I get up with him so comfy? At the last possible minute, we awoke from our slumber & plodded along for a shower...

What did he get for Hanukkah? He got an episode ot Star Trek (The original one) "Trouble with Tribbles" in the form of a bucket of sparkly balls! Sensory overload for my little boy, but cute none the less.

On a quilty note, at my LQS they sell a coupon book in January for the full year. The first coupon will pay for itself - it is a "Create your own Special Day" (Save 25% off all regularly priced merchandise.) coupon... YAY!
But the last coupon is similar - save 25% on 1 item over $100. I am on the precipise of the latter coupon for 2006... I also have about $75 in gift cards.
You know where this is going don't you?
I was in "shopping" for how to use my last coupon - (I missed the $100 bit & was actually haveing fun figuring out how I would use my coupon.) Once I got to the $100 - I had a harder time... It is not so easy to spend $100 on 1 item in a quilt shop...
I could have easily spent $3200 on a table or a new sewing machine, but $100 on something - not so easy...
Maybe a rolling tote for my sewing machine - (@$150) - X
Maybe a nice chair - (Did not get a quote) - X
Maybe a task light - (again @$150) - X
1 cut of fabric - MAYBE
So here I am the day before I can use my coupon wondering about whether or not I should get several yards of 1 piece of fabric - backing & binding for probably 2 quilts - or extra wide backing for 3 or 4 quilts...

The more I think on it the more I think I will pass on using it (this year). So I can hold onto my GC's for the summer time when I want/need some inspiration or just some retail therapy!

What would you do?

10 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

Well, I haven't posted about the gift I received. Mainly, because I go and pick it out this weekend. CarGuy bought me a Featherweight from my GF. She has about seven (7!). So I don't know if the one I will choose has a case or not.

I vote for the rolling case because that is what I'm looking for. *grin*

Morah said...

If you have to think that hard about something to buy, I say stop and wait. It seems as if there is nothing you MUST have. Keep the certificate until summer.

May Britt said...

I went to my quiltshop today wanting to buy some christmasfabric on sale but came home with a new book instead. Inspiration was my choise this time, I think I have enough fabric to make a lot of quilts. If you do not know what to choose....wait.

Mrs. Moody said...

I think you made the right choice in waiting. I would have waited too. You can always get those other items and who is to say that money won't be tight for some reason or another in the future. GC always come in handy.

jpquilter said...

I don't know if I could spend the $100 at one time either - I think I would opt to spend it over time or when I had a specific project in mind
juliann

Debra Spincic said...

Wait until you are really ready. Why buy something just for the sake of a coupon when nothing grabs your attention?

Andi said...

OK, I vote for shopping now!! Get fabric for backings...remember the list of UFOs!

Vicky said...

Shucks, I would have gone for the wide backing. It's not hard to spend $100 on backings!

Happy New Year!

Suze said...

When in doubt, DON'T.....

Waiting will help you make the right decision.

Glad to see your "resolution" discussion. You are smart to plan ahead.

Libby said...

I would probably let the coupon pass. I have finally learned that I'm not saving anything if I'm just buying in order to 'save' When the right thing comes along the price will also be right coupon or no.