Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Violet Crumble: Not Just a Candy Bar! (& Poetry Thursday)

Violet Crumble front Here it is: "Violet Crumble" another monochromatic quilt. This one shows how you can use everything from the palest lavendar to red-violet in one quilt. (The ones that look green are 50% green & 50% purple, it does not give the right "look" at first glance, but it is a great print.) 1 small suprise - no cat fabrics are in this quilt... Wider than my quilt holder ;o) FYI I don't use a design wall, I just pulled two blocks & verified that I was not repeating any of the 4 fabrics and sewed them together. I kept going creating biggere sections. In the end in the middle there are two pink & purples cat-e-corner to each other but other that that they are failry randomly placed in the quilt. If I had used a design wall, there might have been more thought into placing more "light" in the bottom right corner. I am happy with the way it turned out anyway.
violet crumble back Here is the back, 3 different flannels. Aside: I went to JoAnn's with my 40% off coupon to get backing - I think. They did not have 9 yards on the 1 bolt that I wanted to use - so I got 3, 3, & 3 - not smart, becasue this was I was only able to use the coupon on 3 yards... I only figured that out in the parking lot after my transaction. Oh well, live & learn.
violet crumble block Here is a close up (of the 50/50 green/purple - greta print, huh?) & the block quilting. There is a big flower in the middle and it is surrounded by smaller flowers.
violet crumble corner tulip quilting This is the corner - it has a tulip quilted on the diagonal. You can also see my scrappy binding & the striped flannel porion of the back. Also in this view is my piano key border.

"Black Cat"
A cat as black
As balck as coal
Is out upon
His midnight stroll,
His steps are soft,
His walk is slow,
His eyes are gold,
They flash and glow.
And so I run
And so I duck,
I do not need
His black-cat luck.
-Anonymouse

And you though this was a cat free post!

19 comments:

May Britt said...

I love this one. It's sparkling. Does the pattern excist on net anywhere???

Samantha said...

Amy, I simply love that quilt. Love it.

Libby said...

Lovely display of colors. You must have a terrific stash.

Mary said...

Great job! I love this quilt Amy, I think I have this pattern in one of my books and have considered making it. I've got a bunch of pinks and purples that are going to become my next two color family quilt and I may use this pattern or there's another stack and slash type pattern in the book Stash-buster Quilts: Time-saving Designs for Fabric Leftovers by Lynne Edwards that I'm thinking about using too.

Fiona said...

I love lilac and purples, this one looks great. I also like the neocounter on your sidebar - I have put it on mine too now.

Laurie Ann said...

Very cool quilt! The piano key border is just perfect. It will be great to cuddle under.

Hedgehog said...

I absolutely love this quilt. LOVE! I really like monochromatic quilts, too. Is this your design?

bettsy said...

I have this pattern ( that's if it is Debbie Caffrey's "Barbara's Antique Classy Pattern".)ejgueive I was going to do it in baby prints and colours but I do like the one you have done so I may just have to change my mind lol. It looks great and I have just put it higher on my "want to do" list.

bettsy said...

Great somehow the word verification code got stuck in my comment. Please exscuse - I am not that crazy. :)

Susan said...

I love the purple crumble. Also the cat poem is one of my favorites!

Kay said...

This is a wonderful quilt--and I don't even like purple! But I love monochromatic quilts, and yours are terrific.

Jeanne said...

Aaaah, great purples!
Jeanne

cher said...

this pattern turned out great in purples...hope you enjoy sleeping under it!

Joanne said...

Violet Crumble is a great quilt. I love the colors -- and they are not "my" colors at all! Really great quilt!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Love, love, love the way this purple one turned out - and that green adds just the right touch!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

This is an absolutely stunning quilt.

Sheila said...

Very pretty, Amy. Mine is Red/Tan and still a UFO. I think your monochromatic is more the way to go!

Miriam said...

the quilt is great! "next year in houston" made me take a second look at your blog. i just noticed the print ;)

juryizout said...

Awesome quilt!