Friday, November 03, 2006

Rhapsody & the Rag Quilt

Has anyone not made a rag quilt? (I have actually made two which is suprising because they both were a pain in the arse - not to mention wrist/thumb.) I was behind the craze... (I was behind the Millenium charm quilt craze too... Still need to finish trimming them down...)
Rhapsody on rag quilt Here she is my little girl, Rhapsody, on the rag quilt. This quilt is an official couch throw.
1 rag front It is black & white with randomly scattered appliqued stars. I used a cheap white flannel for the middle layer inlieu of specially cut pieces of batting.
1 rag back Here is the back - funky flower garden. On the front in the seams, you can see a little of thes color peeking through. Which is fairly striking against the black & white flannels.

I don't know how it happened, but overall the quilt is rather narrow - hence its couch designation.

Since this was my second rag quilt, I did the clipping during my lunch hour at work over several months instead of a marathon session that landed me in physical therapy I still have joint issues in that thumb - a decade of cashiering in a grocery store is the main culprit, but clipping flannel did not help.

My first one was bigger & I donated it to charity. (The colors were similar - I used purples & greens & Trip Around the World layout.)

I used the scraps from this one in a baby quilt - it is in my gift pile. I used the scraps from my first one in a baby quilt too & sent that one to my cousin in Washington State when she had a baby.

Now I use flannel on backs...

26 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Made one of these for my boss' son a couple of years ago. It was easy but the cutting was a PAIN literaly!! Not to mention the fibers in the dryer!!

Love yours the stars really make it pop!!
and thanks for the link to the houston winners. I was there for market and the quilts were just tremendous

Jeanne said...

I never did do any of these -- my hands are already terrible with arthritis :)
Jeanne

Jules said...

I have never made one, but I have the fabric to do an animal print one. Maybe for Christmas this year...

Libby said...

Looks like a great couch quilt -- I haven't made one of these yet. The more I hear about sore hands, the less I think I have one in me.

Nancy said...

(Raising hand) That would be me! I've never done a rag quilt or even had a desire to do so. Not sure why because everyone I've ever talked to who did one loves they way they came out. But I don't think it's for me.

Melzie said...

Oh I love it :) I havent done one yet..one of these days. I do see in all the magazines it says TAKE TO THE LAUNDRYMAT TO DO THEM lol. xoxo melzie

May Britt said...

I have never made a rag quilt. And never think I will because one of my friends almost destroyed her dryer with it.

DubiQuilts said...

Your rag quilts are great!

I love making rag quilts. I have made 2 with jeans, cotton and flannel. I will post photos today if blogger will let me.

Rian said...

Nope, never made a rag quilt.

Laurie Ann said...

I made one and that was enough!!! I am glad I tried it though. My friend had a numb thumb for two months after the cutting!!

paula, the_quilter said...

Nope. Never made a rag quilt. My hands are a mess from years of computer work, knitting and gardening. After 3 surgeries I am not even going to attempt a rag quilt.

Fiona said...

Never made one - never thought about the RSI involved so now maybe I never will. Although ... I have seen a rather a nice pattern for a rag quilted bag - perhaps that wouldn't be too bad.

paula, the_quilter said...

Okay, I've switched. Do I show up for you?

Linda_J said...

nope not me--nor do I think I will go there. I already have thumb extension/flexion problems that the prospect of that scissors work would do me in.

Sweet P said...

I have never made a rag quilt and don't intend to make one. They look too unfinished for my tastes.

ForestJane said...

I made a denim one that turned out terribly. First, I made the mistake of using fleece for the backing. It didn't fray and so the seams are rather chunky to sit on. PLUS one of the fleece colors I was using turned out to be the cheap kind that makes pills when washed.

But, like your Rhapsody, my cats love it. They'll get on the denim side and scratch themselves a nest - the lumpy seams are good resistance for their claws... then they'll turn around 3X and snooze away.

Mary said...

Yes, someone hasn't done a rag quilt - me! I like your layout and one of these days I am going to do at least one. I have lots of flannel scraps leftover from backing other quilts so maybe I'll use them for the back.

Gail said...

I haven't done one yet, its on my 'rountuit' list; after your comment about the hands/pain I may cross it off. I'd rather save my hands for applique and other handwork.

Debra Spincic said...

No rag quilts here!

cher said...

no rag quilts here either, nor ever will be...glad your kitty loves the couch one.

Mrs. Moody said...

I haven't made one yet either. I did see one at IQF though and really want to make it now.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

No, never made one. I do admire the cuddliness of them but am fairly concerned about all those open seams!! Love the cats

Hanne said...

I have never made a rag quilt and I am fairly sure I will stay on the not list for a very long time ;-)
Yours look good !

Cynthia said...

i haven't made one either but i would like to have a go at making one some time.

Anonymous said...

I have never made a rag quilt - and do not intend to do so. My fussy, neat, anal gene doesn't like them at all! I'll be glad when the craze goes away.

Sacriledge, I know!

Patti

computerpeach said...

i have never made one either. I do have one though in my posession. An online friend made one for my daughter when she was born. If I ever do one, I will be sure to use pre-shrunk flannel because it really shrunk to an almost unuseable size - but it was great when she was small though.