Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A list of ideas

This list is more for me that anything else - although your input is appreciated/solicited....

I am generating ideas for pink/brown/cream quilts.

(I have about 3 different - could be comingled pink/brown stashes.)

1 is my Japanese Taupes, 1 is super scrappy & 1 is The Buggy Barn's In the Pink collection.

So far my list is comingled & only a few ideas are set in stone.

1. Card tricks using only the taupes.
2. Tumbler charm quilt using only the taupes.
3. Pattern from a magazine using the "super scrappy" (I have too many in that pile already for the quilt, so while I could wait to do this last & include the Taupes & BB prints, I won't.) selection - besides the magazine pattern included burgundy & greens too.
4. Shoo-fly variation - some from all. I am going for a quilt that Laurie shared with us.
pink & brown I kept the photo I like the quilt so much. (I call it a shoo-fly variation - it could also be considered a snowball variation.) I am going to do mine in light (pinks & creams) and medium & dark browns.
5. 1/2 square triangles - again some from all.
6. something using only rectangles - again some from all.
7. brown cats? Some from all. (not sure about how to add the pink - but my girl cat is the inspiration for the whole pink & brown quilt idea!)
8. pink/cream "blocks" with brown alternating squares/brown & cream blocks with pink alternating squares.
9. rail fences (I sketched something from a magazine... sue me I buy enough magazines!)
10. mixed sizes (6 & 12 inch blocks) & mixed colored stars.
11. pink/brown 4 patches with cream setting triangles strippy quilt (or border for one of my many other ideas).
12. Bento boxes - all (maybe even the burgundies & greens from the magazine quilt stash.)
13. Attic treasures - All again maybe even the burgundies and greens
14. Quiltville's Star Struck using only the BB prints.
15. 42 squares (there are 21 in the BB collection) with white sashing. (I saw this in blues & browns and liked it.) 6 x 7 layout.
16. double stars - All & more creams/whites/shirtings
17. - numerous sketches
18. - I still want to scan some books

Is 18 a long enough list of ideas for 1 color scheme? (I think I have enough fabric to do "most" of these in a twin size - some I plan to do bigger, like the magazine pattern.)

Somewhere in the middle I mentioned my inspiration, RhapsodyRhapsody & the pipe-cleaner bumblebee you can't see it here but she has a pink tongue & pink toe pads. There is a nut shell is my pallette.

22 comments:

Patti said...

Good grief - that is quite a list! How ever are you going to decide?

Fiona said...

You know, the trouble with blogs, and books, and magazines is that there is too much choice. I spend more time thinking about what I'm going to make than I ever do actually making the blessed things. So, in short, I'm no help whatsoever

Nancy said...

Your pallette is lovely. :-) And what a list of projects you have there! My P/B will be a Pioneer Braid. I haven't even started collecting the fabrics so it will be a long time before I'm ready to start.

Hedgehog said...

Love your source of inspiration! I like Laurie's quilt - also the bento boxes. Have fun!

Tracey said...

Somewhere in my piles of UFOs, I have two pink/brown/cream projects going.

One is a 9 patch. Some of them are 4 pink and 5 brown, others are 5 pink, 4 brown. I've got a stripey pink/brown that I may use as sashing or a border.

The other is a double 9 patch from a swap. I think the idea was in a book of "quilts for chocolate lovers" or something like that. It is brown and cream 3" 9 patches alternated with 3" pink squares to make 9" 9 patches. Still not sure how that will be set together yet.

I'd also love to uset he pink/browns for a churn dash.

Andi said...

So how long will it be until you are crying to use blues??? LOL. I'm amazed that you can get 16 or more quilts from your fabric! Time to start sewing! Were we supposed to tell you which one to start with? Personally, I'd start with rectangles and the Bento Box, and then pick a day to cut triangles and charms in between.

May Britt said...

oh dear, that's a amazing list. Do you really have fabric to make all those quilts. Pink and brown is so beautiful.

jpquilter said...

I vote for nuber 4 - shoo fly variation or number 10 - varied sized stars - but then I love star and shoo fly blocks - and I love this idea - my have to quilt-lift it from you because I have been buying browns and pinks too
juliann

Libby said...

My head is just spinning -- I wouldn't know where to begin.

paula, the quilter said...

Ermm...the rail fence (#9) would probably look a bit like Neopolitan Ice Cream, doncha think? I like the stars from Bonnie's site (#14).

Mary said...

I've also got some pink and brown fat quarters that are going to become a quilt. This is one of the patterns I'm considering:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2631/2787/1600/NovScrappyStars.jpg

I saved the picture but I don't know who's blog it's from!

Morah said...

Funny, a friend and I have just completed a year of collecting and are ready to do our P/B quilts. Every couple of years we do the same pattern to see how they turn out. We doing log cabins...any variation. I really like the pineapple blossom on Quiltville. Here is one done in P/B http://alwayswantstobequilting.blogspot.com/2006/10/its-done-its-done-its-done.html

The Carolina Quilter said...

Wow! That is a beautiful quilt--I love it, too. And a great colorway, pink and brown.

Anonymous said...

Haha, that'll be enough to keep you busy for a while!

I have some pink and brown star pieces cut someplace ...

Jeanne :)

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

I thought I was the only person with a huge stash of Daiwabo taupes! I have a bazillion FQs of them. I made a Whacky Girl out of some of them and liked it. Your idea of a taupes Card Trick is excellent -- I think the idea was for us to help you, but here, you have helped ME! And I thank you!

Kay said...

I agree with Fiona, too much choice! Any would be great. You might try what I read somewhere: put the list on individual papers, put them in a bag, and draw. (You can always cheat, of course.)

Sweet P said...

I wish I could give you the magic answer. But I'm sure whatever one you choose, your quilt will be lovely.

PS - Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Granny Fran said...

Rhapsody is definitely worthy of being the inspiration for such a gorgeous color scheme for such a possibility of quilts.

Barb said...

I like the combo of pink and brown. And as much as I really don't favor blue, turquoise and brown look great together. A really rich chocolate. Maybe pink and brown with some splashes of turquoise to give it life. I like that idea.

Beth said...

I like this one:

http://www.nancymac.com/ww01.htm

Hey, I posted the recipe you asked about. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

Lizzy said...

I love the colors in that quilt I have that same quilt saved in my file also. I always wonder when I see a quilt I like if it's the color or the pattern that draws me to it.

Shelina said...

That is quite a list. When I am making a quilt, I too imagine all sorts of quilts I can make next. I wonder what it is about the ones that I actually make - what makes them the quilt I make rather than ones I just think about making. I think it has something to do with being at the right place at the right time.