Thursday, October 05, 2006

My great granmothers quilt - edited

30's full This quilt was made by my great grandmother. The pattern is Drunkard's Path. (I think that there may be another name for the block arrangement.) My grandmother can pick out fabrics from outfits that she wore. (I think these are scraps from the material purchased to make the dresses - not the remains of the actual dresses. Those would probably be more worn and faded.) The condition is near mint - my own appraisal - no popped stitches, not frayed areas, original binding intact...

30's block Here is a shot of the block - this must be where I got my "done is better than perfect" attitude from. As you work around the path you see a pattern and then - oops. But she kept going rather than unsewing and "fixing" it. BTW I don't think any of the block arrangements are as you would expect the to be...

30's border This is the border. It is a variation of cable quilting. (Only the overs are quilted - no unders. If you know what I mean.)

30's back This is the back (it does not have any blue on it in real life...) so that you can possible see the quilting. Circles with "seeds."

30's lable I made this label for the quilt several years ago. She died in 1940 when my grandmother was a young lady, so my grandmother was never "old enough" to learn to quilt from her mother. I am not sure about why it is "maverick", but I know one thing it is not because there were small children under foot. She was not that kind of mother.

I made the label on an old laserjet printer - printed onto June Taylors "printer fabric." I seriously doubt it is "stuck forever" - like I would not be washing it anytime soon. I scanned the photo and added the text around it in a word-processing software package. I am 99% sure that there are better ways to get the same effect.

I plan to get one of those glass chests for storing it - complete with stuffing the folds with acid free tissue paper. (It has minimal creases now - I folded it in 1/3rds after photographing it to help...) You see she was a prolific quilter, but this is the only quilt in my immediate family. Most of them ended up in an in-law side. (My great grandfather lived with his deceased son's wife until he moved to Florida. She would not let anything leave the house unless he took it out of the house. He never returned to take anything out of the house.)

Thanks for all of the lovely comments. You made my morning.

14 comments:

Hedgehog said...

It's such a beautiful quilt! I love the colors - they have aged well! What a great move to make a label for it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treasure you have inherited. I'm so glad you added the label so it's story won't be lost in the years to come. Do you have a place in your new home to display this beautiful quilt?

Patti

Shelina said...

This is such a beautiful quilt, and I too am glad you added the label. The maverick block layout is intriguing. I wonder if she made it to counteract some overly critical person, or if she was sewing it in poor light, or undeer stress, or if she had help from children, etc. There is definitely a story there!

Jules said...

What a beautiful quilt. It reminds me of my great grandmother's quilts. I love that you put a label on it. I think I will work on that with my mom in labeling some of her grandmother's quilts.

susan said...

So how do you make such a label?

Norma said...

Thanks for sharing your treasure! This is truly a priceless item for you. It is in perfect condition. I like the fact that you added the label--nice touch! A glass cabinet would be perfect for displaying it.

Anonymous said...

I think it's wonderful that you have this quilt from your heritage. What a treasure! If you put it in a glass chest, I' think about maybe getting some of those packets of silica(like they have in shoeboxes)to retard moisture. Just a thought.
Still waiting for shelf pics, hint hint. Hubby mentioned this morning about getting the closet ready for my stash.
EileenKNY(blogger won't accept my password)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful heirloom, and what a nice looking label!!!
Jeanne

Deb R said...

That quilt is beautiful, Amy! What a treasure.

I have one quilt from one of my great-grandmothers and it looks like it might have been made at around the same time as yours, but mine has been used over the years and isn't in nearly as good a condition as yours.

Sassenach said...

What a lovely quilt -- no, it's not the traditional layout, but who cares?!

So glad you documented the history of the quilt. It only takes one break in the chain of knowledge to lose a tremendous amount of information.

Tazzie said...

What a beautiful quilt, a lovely treasure for you to have and remind you of your Grandmother. I just love the fact that she's got little pattern errors in there, it makes the quilt have so much more personality. Your label is wonderful.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Barb said...

I love how clothing is used and pieced and offers up it's memories. I'm so glad you value this--it's such a special family treasure.

Libby said...

A wonderful treasure. It's so nice you are able to appreciate such a beauty and to know so much about it.

paula, the_quilter said...

Such a beautiful quilt. I have added labels to several quilts my grandmother made. What a treasure you have.