Wednesday, September 06, 2006

YAY! EDITED (in red)

Tazzie wanted Photos - so here ya go! (I have been so irritated with blogging lately, that I have not even tried to post a photo - well I did try to post a Chihuly photo yeaterday...)

"Stars in the Court House" by Amy aka The Calico Cat. Quilted by Linda Sue. Pattern inspired by Fons&Porter - they used a different star & did not go "wonky" (on purpose!) A gift for my B-I-L. Is it masculine? It is completely not me - but I have an idea for the scraps...

I shared the blocks earlier & perhaps a helper kitty shot - him sitting on the border pieces that I was trying to attach...
I really like how this turned out! It is scrumptiously soft in real life - brushed cotton on the back. Scraps in the border (I love the border treatment!) - though I wish I saved the green - for another project...

(Anyone have any "shout at you green" homespun plaid? What about a "bossy high contrast" big plaid - like the purple one in this quilt?) I think Cher (Marathon Quilter) or Patti (Quilting is my Passion) went to a local show & shared pictures - one of which was a "Chinese Coins" variation with applique (In my mind at least, I have been known to embellish other memories.)... Ring a bell?

It was Patti - (I have one of those memories - can't remember what I need to remember, but other things get stuck like a steel trap!) You can see it - if you go back to April 6th on her blog - click the "Patti" link above.


A little closer view... I was SOOOOO happy when I found that red. It is not homespun or shirting like the rest of the top or brushed cotton like the backing, but it is PERFECT - if I do say so myself. I found it at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival this year.

So why is it wonky - you may be asking... Well, I needed to "square up" the blocks. I decided instead of fussing to get it right on 90 degrees, that it would be easier and more fun to skew it. Some roll more than others... It probably would have made more sense if my logs were also skewed, but.... It is done! and "Done is better than perfect" EVERYDAY in my life.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, it is perfect. Of course I love it - it is my type of quilt! It is so surprising to see you making something like this. The wonkiness is just right - I wouldn't have changed a thing. And yes, it does look very masculine - the plaids do that all by themselves.

It was me that posted a picture of the quilt you are talking about - Chinese coins with appliqué. It was at our guild show. Check out my posts after April 6th - should be shortly after that.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt, plaids stars scrappy border. I like your version better then Pons & Porters.

Lizzy

Anonymous said...

I like this, and it is definitely masculine. Isn't it a funny feeling to make something that is so out of character for yourself, and yet you know someone else will like it?

Amen to your comments about Blogger and Blogger Beta.

Kay

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt! It has personality!

Norma

Anonymous said...

It may not be your kind of quilt, but it's definitely mine. I love the scrappy plaids. He's going to love it. If he doesn't he can mail it to me!!!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Looks outstanding to me. It has all of the elements I enjoy most, brushed cottons, homespuns and unstraight lines. Perfection.
Libby

Anonymous said...

It is FABULOUS - it might not be your kind of quilt but if I had made it (some hopes) I would be shouting from the rooftops!
Fiona

Hedgehog said...

It's a great quilt and definitely masculine. I think plaids are good for that - I'm working on something with lots of plaids for my little brother.

Debra Spincic said...

Your quilt has tons of personality! Bravo!

Deb R said...

Love the quilt, Amy! It's cozy-looking and beautiful!

Sweet P said...

Your BIL's quilt is very masculine. It looks like it has already been loved. What more could you ask for from a quilt?

Linda_J said...

I remember that one from that magazine actually--the same issue as something else that I keep clipped, maybe the baptist fan marking template or some such thing.

Love your version of it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the pictures for me. I just love the quilt, wonky is wonderful!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

susan said...

Great quilt, it does look masculine if it needs to be, wish I could feel the softness!

"done is better than perfect" - would also describe my last project - see pics on today's post.

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, now you know I'm LOVING this quilt!!!!!

Is this from that set of plaids you bought not long ago? And done already? Atta girl!

Jeanne