Wednesday, September 27, 2006

So you like to look at quilts...

DSC01380 The cat charm quilt. This quilt has about 605 cat charms all 4 inch squares, no repeats. (Although when one fabric was printed in 4 colors - I used each of the 4 colors in this quilt.) I can sit and stare at the fabric in this quilt all day....

DSC01381 This is one of my most clever cat charms... You see this is a "pig" fabric, but what is that pig holding? A kitten.... AWWW I think this is a KP Kids fabric - I love their designs & I would love to have another of these charms - or the same thing in a different color.... Yes, I have started a new cat charm quilt... (more on that later.)

DSC01382 A corner shot, so you can see that the quilt is set on point and thatthe backing is flannel & partially kitty flannel at that! I traded or was given for two of those charms. The blue on white, I got at JoAnnes - wish I got more (it wasn't/isn't the best quality) I have wanted to use it several times since I ran out of the tiny amount I purchased. :o( I love the small scale & the blue on white and the novelty-ness of it...

DSC01384 Rhapsody, modeling the quilt... Next to a charm that looks a lot like her... >^..^<

New cat charm quilt: Once upon a time ago, (Probably last December or January) I wanted to finish up several I Spy quilts.... I asked and several people sent me novelty charms for this endeavour. In return, I made star fling quilts for charity. To do those, I needed 3.5 inch squares of novelty prints. I trimmed my "scrap" novelty pile into 3.5 inch squares - that pile included cats. In addition, I already own a literal ton of cat fabrics so I cut into them too into 3.5 inch squares, ditto my other novelty fabrics. Once I had a huge pile (That trimming is mindless & I did it while watching TV not paying much attention to actual accumulation.) I started to sort them... I alsways start my sorting buy pulling out the cats. I thought if I like to see different cat fabrics in the same quilt, someone else will too. So I started to make charm packs. The next thing I knew, I had a big enough pile for the start of a charm quilt - while still sharing the furry goodness of a fabric purr. So there you have it, I am knee deep into a second cat charm quilt. & Theanks to a little help from my friends, I already have some new to me cat fabrics! YAY!

16 comments:

Shelina said...

This is a lovely quilt too. It looks like one of those watercolor quilts. I'm allergic to cats, and although I do have some novelty fabric (my sister has cats), I stay away from them as much as possible.

Hedgehog said...

Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing!

cher said...

great quilt and kitty photos-you are doing a nice job settling into your new home and will be very productive once that stewidio is set up!

Melzie said...

Looks very nice and scrappy :) xoxo melzie

Cynthia said...

I love your quilt. It looks great. I can't believe how many cat fabrics you have!!!!

Tazzie said...

Wow, that is one cute quilt! Cheryl from the quilt store is addicted to kitties too, and every fabric with cats seems to make it's way into her store. The most wonderful Xmas cats have been arriving lately!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Libby said...

Wow - 605 different kitty prints. That's an amazing collection you have. Looks like the cats enjoy the quilts made in their image.

Norma said...

What a purrfect quilt to showcase your cat fabric collection! This gives me ideas for my chicken fabric collection!

Fiona said...

Lovely quilt - like the fact it is set on point.

Anonymous said...

A perfect quilt for all you cat fanciers out there!

Patti

Kay said...

Oh, I love this! One of my very favorite fabrics is the brown and black P&B one that shows in the top picture. I actually made a cat quilt for a gift a few years ago, and have thought of making more. There are such wonderful fabrics, as you must know better than anyone.

susan said...

love your kitty kat quilt

Laurie said...

Amy,
I love the cat quilt and I am not a cat fan! But I sure can hear the love of the quilt in your post! Also, I REALLY LOVE that rainbow log cabin! TO DIE FOR!
Hugs
Laurie

paula, the_quilter said...

Wow! for some odd reason your blog just plain dropped off my bloglines! Wonder how that happeded? Anyway, I resubbed you and read all the blogs I've missed. So glad you got the cat fabric. 600? or 603? /paula

Anonymous said...

Meow!

You have great quilt fans in your kitties!

Great CHARM quilt - an amazing amount of kitty fabrics!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn
Starfishy

Nancy said...

Well of course we like to look at quilts. And what a quilt it is with all the kitty charms! You are my idol! LOL!

I do love that quilt and the picture of your kitty helper curled up next to the self-portrait charm is wonderful. :-)