Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Back to our regularly scheduled quilt blog...

DSC01378 In the begining there was a cat who loved to lay down on quilts. His name was R.B. (Rhythm & Blues) & he got caught napping on quilts all the time. His mom set this quilt aside - waiting to take a photo of the whole thing to share on her blog, but in the mean time she was doing a lot of other things around the house... She comes around to get the quilt for a photo op & look what she saw - a sleeping kitty - o.k. everyone say, "AWWWW."
DSC01387 After waiting fo rthe kitty to wake from his slumber, the mom-blogger was able to spread the quilt onto her bed for a photo. WOW that is a rainbow log cabin.

Aside: I saw this quilt in one of those "yearbooks" for quilts, along with the directions.)I used Eleanor Burns' method of Quilt in a Day to piece these blocks. A good deal of that "DAY" was during my lunch hour at work.

Here is what I did, I cut the strips and sub cut the squares for the first seam. I took the pile of squares to work and pinned the correct number of red/orange, orange/yellow, etc. combinations together. I took them home, sewed them together and pressed them. I took the pairs back to work and pinned the next log to the pairs and repeated the home portion until I had my blocks pieced.

Working thusly, I pieced this block in about 1 week! (At the time, I was unmarried, no kids, etc.)

DSC01390 Just a glimpse of how I use novelty prints....

DSC01388 A shot of the back - also in the not so distant past, I used a lot of muslin for backs - especially the extra wide stuff. Big stipple using rainbow thread - today I would have it quilted differently, but *repeat after me* "Done is better than perfect."

DSC01389 One of the many ways that I use cat fabrics >^..^<, this particular piece was hard to use in this quilt because it read as orange and yellow & I needed one or the other for the effect, hence its proximity to the green. Oh yeah, that is a trick I learned - orangey yellow looks more yellow next to green and more orange next to red!DSC01391 On display in my home. Can you see the Bose stereo system? No, GOOD! (The rumpled quilt skin fish was made by my friend, Kathy. I made the cross stitch - BQ = Before Quilting)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that rainbow quilt--both with and without R.B. on it!!! Will have to dig out my Eleanor Burns Log Cabin in a Day book!!! KCQuilter

Jules said...

Excellent use of novelty fabrics. Did you fussy cut all of those pieces? Incredible. It really is a lovely quilt.

Hope you are enjoying your new home. I have been trying to remember restaurants that we used to go out to lunch at around there, but it has been a while. I do remember one named Suzannes that had good beer.

debraspincic said...

What a stunning quilt and I like the motto, "Done is better than perfect", that way you can move on to other ideas!

Mama Koch said...

I've also made a couple of EB's Log Cabins because they are so easy to assemble. Your rainbow version is great! Love it.

Hedgehog said...

What a bright quilt!! I might need to make something like that for the long dark winter.

Kim said...

That is pretty and scrappy. I have no problem LOOKING at other's scrappy quilts - it is the MAKING them that gives me fits!

Jeanne said...

Oh, that rainbow is GLORIOUS!

You're not coming through on Bloglines for me :(

Jeanne

Beth said...

What a lovely, bright, happy quilt! Good job!

Beth
http://bethknits.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Bloglines isn't updating your blog for me either so I thought I'd just come over and check. What do I find, rainbow colours and scrappy - got to be a happy combination.

Fiona

Samantha said...

great rainbow effect!!

Simonetta said...

Put joy the log cabin rainbow quilt!!!I like it :)))

Nancy said...

AWWWW sweet kitty pic. And OHHHH lovely quilt!

Susan H. said...

What a great rainbow Log Cabin. One day....

Clare said...

Cats and quilts were made for each other. That is one great quilt.

Are all your cats Siamese/Burmese? I am a Siamese Cat freak, but have 2 moggies.

Shelina said...

Oh I really like this quilt. I like all the bright and fabulous fabric you used on it and how you arranged everything.

Sweet P said...

What a gorgeous rainbow quilt. And your cat quilt is stunning! You are a great quilter.

Anonymous said...

You sure do use a big variety of fabrics! This quilt is so bright, fun and cheerful - and fun to search for all the little surprise fabrics too!

Cheers!

Evelyn
aka Starfishy

Mary said...

I like the meander on the log cabin. I also used to use a lot of wide muslin for backs - now I piece most of mine from stash fabrics.

Serena said...

I love the rainbow colored quilt! Beautiful color combination! The stippling in rainbow thread seems to blend with it too! :)