Monday, September 18, 2006

Are we done yet?

First, thanks for all of the lovely comments!
Second, after a second glance, the dining room is a different color warmer yellow while the living room is a cooler taupe.
Third - ugh where did we get all of this stuff & where are we going to put it now that we got it here?

Now for the general rant on moving & movers....

We hired contractor "A" (Two guys and a truck), the truck broke down, so he hired a sub contractor (two guys and a trailer). So we are looking a two trips instead of one (The job is charged hourly & the 30-45 minute trip each way costs...) o.k., not happy with that but o.k. anyway. The movers were supposed to arrive at the apartment at 10 - they got there cloer to 11!

(Right away he tells me that he is supposed to help another girl at 1 & that he might not get to the storage on the first trip.)

So they finally get everything from the apartment into the trailer - not so hard long considering we only has a bed, a table, some bookcases, & some other storage items. The trainer is only 1/3 full so I said, "Lets go to the storage and fill up the trailer." (Without seeing how much stuff we had he thought we could fill the trailer - which is why he agreed...) Well we couldn't but we filled it so that the second trip would/could be quicker...

They unload the trailer - the boxes part was no problem, but the scratched up the walls pretty good trying to get a bigger piece of furniture around the corner.... UNHAPPY! (Luckily, we have some paint - now to get some brushes for touching up....)

We finally got that back into the living room & it is waiting to be unassembled to that we can reassemble it in the "stewdio."

Hours pass while Michael & I are moving boxes into the other rooms (Appliances into the kitchen, clothes & books into the master bedroom, fabric, etc. into the "stewdio"...) I was actually making tracks into putting stuff "up" in the "stewdio" when we got a call for us to meet the movers at 9 at the storage place. We got there right before 9 & it was a good thing because that is the witching hour - I though we had 24 hour access... Michael & I unloaded the stoarge locker and had everything in the parking lot waiting for the movers who finally got there at about 10...

I don't know what time it was when we finally got the stuff unloaded...

Michael was talking to the guy about paying... (We agreed with the original guy to use our check card. This guy wanted cash.) They left without getting paid, but did not ask for any more money than we agreed upon up front - which is a good thing considering my walls, the wait, & the amount of work that we did that we hired them to do!

I guess the original guy will call Michael about getting paid, but he hasn't called yet...

Oh now my living room is once more filled with boxes & my "stewdio" once again looks like I have not started to unpack...

Oh well - no one said moving is easy...

I hope your weekends were at least more restful!

6 comments:

nancy said...

Moving is always a horror but in the end it will be worth it when you finally get settled into your own home. :-)

Gail said...

Even a good moving experience is awful, but by now you know that. I'm glad that it is at least behind you and you can start settling in.

Shelina said...

You definitely shouldn't have to pay for two trips, since the original vehicle was supposed to be able to handle one trip. If anything you should get a discount for having to deal with more than one trip. I'm surprised that they didn't put the stuff in the right rooms to begin with.
I hate moving too, and I'm sure that when I move it will be the worst experience yet just because of the amount of STUFF I have accumulated.
Glad it is behind you now.

Libby said...

Moving is just disasterous no matter how you go about it. Hang in there, it will be over soon.

Mary said...

Can't wait! The movers called us today but I put them off. We don't have an offer on the house yet and although Keith has to leave on the 29th of Oct we won't be moving any stuff until the house sells. Besides, I don't even know how much stuff I'm taking because I don't know where we'll be living.

Anonymous said...

Well - good for you for at least getting everything to where it needs to be - and that it didn't rain... Yup, moving is stressful and hard, but will be so worth it in the end.

Cheers!

Evelyn
aka Starfishy