Sunday, August 20, 2006

Two quilty posts in 1 day. Why not?

Ugh, while I can get picassa to post for me, I can not rearrange the photos... (No cut & paste mode...)

So this is the back... It originally was going to be a top, but it never "grew enough" along with some other "issues." (Down the center, do you see the striped prints coming together? That wasn't supposed to happen...)
Aww those are kitties... Those kitties are the reason why this quilt top became a back... :o) I could not toss them when the original quilt growing and came together in a manner that I was not happy with. Luckily I had enough of the blue stripe to add it all around. You can see the center stripe issue more clearly in this close-up shot, huh?
And finally, the top. This is a Fons & Porter pattern - from their Fat Quarter Friendly book. (I think - I was not able to find it on their website...) I had just taken a workshop on how to use the Square in a Square ruler & we did a Storm at Sea. Not my favorite technique - wasteful and full of bias. Just my opinion. As you can see it was accurate...


(I gave the class specimin - complete with the heart that I fussily pieced into it. Did you know that you could piece a heart complette with the round top bits into a Storm at Sea quilt? This pattern is very versatile that way. To my sister as a wedding gift.)

I have a couple of oopses (you can see one in the top left corner - the green and yellows got reversed. They should have been similar to the pink/purple on the opposite top corner) and as a more seasoned quilter, I would have used some solid black & maybe some solid white instead of all black on white for the background. I still get mesmerized and follow the colors around the quilt...

Judy quilted this one... (I hope to finish piecing the next quilt that I am sending off to her today during my mini-group meeting.) Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

quiltpixie said...

A woman never tells her age, and a quilter never tells her oops -- I never would have noticed the colours in the top left if you hadn't pointed them out. Its beautiful.

cher said...

Amy, I agree with Forest Jane, do not point out "errors"-these are creative touches! if you were not happy with it, fine, but...quilts sometimes go the way they go...and turn out unexpectly to what we were thinking-it's ok. I need to put the final border on my storm at sea with the heart design element-like you I also took a class years ago now.

Libby said...

I wonder how many antique quilts have "mistakes" that we now believe are the most clever ideas. I like to let people think it was all, "just part of the plan .... *s*"

Linda_J said...

you can drag and drop with Picassa and change the float on any of the pics on the edit html page--I do it all the time.

Still better than blogger and its intermittent posting ability.

Patti said...

I'm glad you didn't use solids - I love it just the way it is. The prints create such wonderful movement through the top! And no one would have ever guessed you made any mistakes - don't tell people and no one will be the wiser! This is a marvelous quilt!

Triller said...

Hey I reconnize sum of dem fabrics! Mum has a lot of kitty prints too.
I likes your quilt.
The front and back looks like it go togedder on purpose. It could be rebersible.
=^.^=

Rian said...

What a lovely quilt. I love that you used the same colors/fabrics on the back as the front. So often the back is just an afterthought of plain fabric (myself included). I would never have noticed the oops had you not mentioned it.

Susan said...

That's a pretty quilt, and bright and cheerful on both sides! Errors? What errors? =)

Sandra said...

Wow - that's a great quilt (and back too!) I like the use of black and white, really makes it sparkle :-)

Passionate Quilter said...

you do not have a front and back--you have a reversible quilt! They are both great and colorful! And I'll add my 2 cents in--don't point out your oops--they may be to you, but no one else notices them. I found that very hard not to do also--pointing out every little mistake to someone who complimented my quilt. Now I learn to say thanks and leave it at that! :)

EileenKNY said...

Amy,
What a great, colorful quilt. I didn't see any errors. You could call it your "Amish mistake".

Ruth said...

I really like the storm at sea quilt. It looks stunning.

Quilty Nurse said...

I so love your rainbow storm at sea, so vibrant and contemporary, just the way it is :-)