Back to Project Spectrum Orange...
So I decided to do bull's eye flower blocks. Blocks mostly done & set aside to "mature."
Last week (or the week before) I decided to get them to at least a top.
I have 40 blocks that would be a 5x8 layout - no problem.
Unlike most quilters, I don't like to join long rows, I prefer to make 2 patches, then 4 patches, etc. With the 5x8 layout, I needed to keep a few sepatate for 1 long row to join to the part that I would assemble in the manner that I prefer. O.K. I have four 4x4 units and two 1x4 units & The light bulb goes off! Make two 4x5 units, then join them together to make a 5x8 top.
I made it and it really seemed long and skinny.... So I set it aside for the night. On the middle of the night, I dreamed of makeing two 4x5 tops instead. I prefer "fat" to "Skinny" when it comes to quilts. (I have a skinny rag quilt, it is toasty until you roll over!)
So I count blocks to find the mid point. 1, 2... 8, 9 - WHAT THE HE..! I made a 4x10 instead of 5x8, no wonder it was long and skinny.
So I unsew and resew a 5x8 top. (Still skinny, but not so long....)
So I unsewed again and now I have two 4x5 tops. (Ready to become gifts...)
Up till Friday night, I had a pile of orange flower blocks, I joined them up to 4 patches so that I could scatter the leaves about and overlap a few seams. (That made "unsewing" tricky - I had to "find" the seams that did not have leaves.)
I am very happy with the scrappy background (My answer when a pattern calls for "4 yards of muslin.") the flowers, and the leaves!
Finally the border that still needs to be added to the two quilts. :o)
Oh, I also PACKED a lot & shopped a bit this past weekend.
The condo appraised for "enough." so we are 1 step closer to home-ownership. :o)