Monday, August 28, 2006

Quilt(s) with a story....

Back to Project Spectrum Orange...

So I decided to do bull's eye flower blocks. Blocks mostly done & set aside to "mature."

Last week (or the week before) I decided to get them to at least a top.

I have 40 blocks that would be a 5x8 layout - no problem.

Unlike most quilters, I don't like to join long rows, I prefer to make 2 patches, then 4 patches, etc. With the 5x8 layout, I needed to keep a few sepatate for 1 long row to join to the part that I would assemble in the manner that I prefer. O.K. I have four 4x4 units and two 1x4 units & The light bulb goes off! Make two 4x5 units, then join them together to make a 5x8 top.

I made it and it really seemed long and skinny.... So I set it aside for the night. On the middle of the night, I dreamed of makeing two 4x5 tops instead. I prefer "fat" to "Skinny" when it comes to quilts. (I have a skinny rag quilt, it is toasty until you roll over!)

So I count blocks to find the mid point. 1, 2... 8, 9 - WHAT THE HE..! I made a 4x10 instead of 5x8, no wonder it was long and skinny.

So I unsew and resew a 5x8 top. (Still skinny, but not so long....)

So I unsewed again and now I have two 4x5 tops. (Ready to become gifts...)

Up till Friday night, I had a pile of orange flower blocks, I joined them up to 4 patches so that I could scatter the leaves about and overlap a few seams. (That made "unsewing" tricky - I had to "find" the seams that did not have leaves.)
I am very happy with the scrappy background (My answer when a pattern calls for "4 yards of muslin.") the flowers, and the leaves!
Finally the border that still needs to be added to the two quilts. :o)

Oh, I also PACKED a lot & shopped a bit this past weekend.

The condo appraised for "enough." so we are 1 step closer to home-ownership. :o) Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

cher said...

what a fun two quilt tops!

KCQuilter said...

Boy, those orange blossoms just POP. Love them.

Fiona said...

What fab tops - love the orange and lemon colourway.

Libby said...

Gosh, those are terrific looking blocks -- very eye catching. And two quilts from one, such a deal.

Linda_J said...

the orange is really eye popping and perfect for summer!

the_quilter said...

I do like the scrappy background. And orange! I have a lot of orange in my stash that has been aging for a while. I need to figure out something to use it on. /paula

Deb R said...

I love how these are turning out!

quiltpixie said...

gotta love those middle of the night ideas. Glad it all came together for you :-)

Patti said...

Love how this turned out Amy - the orange color makes me think of fresh oranges ripe off the tree and orange cremesicles. What a yummy looking quilt!

Shelina said...

I've been wanting to make a bullseye quilt, but hadn't quite looked at it that way - with flowers. That is just so pretty, and the leaves add so much to it. I love the bright colors.

Laurie Ann said...

Those flower bullseye blocks are just awesome!! Really striking!

computerpeach said...

the orange quilt is very lovely!!

congrats on one step closer to home ownership

Mary said...

These are pretty - I have a book with a pattern very similar to this along with other layered and cut applique projects.

I also like putting my tops together in quad sections - it is a pain when you have to unsew sections of the quilt. And finally, scrappy backgrounds are my favorite too.

Sweet P said...

Those orange flowers are adorable. I don't quite understand what you did, but whatever it was, it worked.

Folkartist said...

Wow, Amy, it looks wonderful!! I can see that showcased in a brand-new condo :-).

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

2 for 1 - great idea! I too love the scrappy background. And - thanks to Project Spectrum for all the wonderful tone on tone quilts we have seen this year - I think it does help when you just have to focus on 1 color at a time to get a quilt made. I love your flowers!!!

Great news on the appraisal - as you say - 1 step closer...

Cheers!

Evelym

ForestJane said...

Nice bright quilts! I bet they'll really cheer up the people who get them. And I like the border on that too!

Passionate Quilter said...

those turned out awesome! What a lucky person to receive one of those. Isn't it funny how our minds think sometimes and it takes sleeping to solve our problems--too bad it doesn't solve them all! And good girl, you continued to pack too.

Rian said...

Love the flowers. So happy, lively and bright. Very nice! I too prefer to join blocks rather than rows. Rows are so....boring.

Hedgehog said...

I love orange! Are the orange flowers appliqued in quarters to the corners of the beige/cream backgrounds?

Cynthia said...

Love the quilt tops you've made and i like the way you have done a scrappy background.

Jules said...

Love the quilt. I am not a row by row combiner, either. I feel that I have more control by doing it in 2, 4, etc.

You get so much done.

Joanne said...

Love your bulleye flowers -- what a clever idea. And yep, that's orange!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Wowzer - it's soooooooo pretty and yummy! Way to go, Amy!

anne bebbington said...

Those orange flowers are terrific :o)