Wednesday, August 02, 2006

On blogging

In a minute ago has a great blog up on blogging... it really made me think, much the way recent blogs on stash/scrap quilts, fabric depression, quilter types, etc. have made me think...

She, not unlike others, replies to comments in the comments... Which is o.k., it is just not me... I really like to reply to comments individually - fostering communication... without the social barriers that a public viewing would create. If I feel the comment was a question that many would like to hear about - then I'll blog it and be thankful for the fodder... However, many bloggers are not set up for the reply to comments - their e-mail comes through are a no reply address. Again, not me, but not everyone has to be like me.

I reply when & how I want, others are more judicious (right word?)...

At any rate, I appreciate all of the comments, even if I do not reply back to you... (I did however probably leave a comment on your blog...)

More on blogging can be read at Whipup... Not to mention this great exercize in color. Very cool. (I am going to peruse this blog some more...)

Yes, I am one of those bloggers who reads a lot of blogs even if the specific topic is not my thing - knitting for example. I love it, love to look at it, love to own it, gather inspiration form it, just don't do it. I am a quilter... (Who happens to still own a few cross-stitch items from a past crafty life - just in case...)

11 comments:

Vicky aka stichr said...

Amy I am right there with you! I love to look at other creative peoples works even if it's not my cup of tea.
And the link to Whip Up....I should have my girls do something like that, maybe just using a box of crayons for the color choices. And I so agree with her on adding 'unplesant' colors to work with the others.

Linda_J said...

Amy, maybe we should post the link on the stashbuster list--a reader of many of our blogs and I assume, commenter wondered if she should or should not start her own. Maybe in a minute ago would clarify her position? Maybe it already is clarified.

Ah well.

Cynthia said...

Interesting post. I will be back later to read it again and look at the links.

quiltpixie said...

Its hard to find the balance between commenting, replying to comments, and getting on with my creative work, but like you I appreciate the comments... You make a better balance of it I think thant I manage, but its a learning curve and a time commitment (the latter which I just can't make right now it seems...) :-)

Sweet P said...

I have become an avid reader of blogs (thanks to bloglines). I may not comment on every entry made; but I comment when the entry strikes me in some way. I'm still new to the bloggin world and always appreciate comments from others. I try to respond to them if they ask a question or sometimes it's just a simple "thank you".

Mary said...

I personally wish that more people would allow the use of their email address rather than a no reply format. It so much easier to reply in email when I'm reading comments rather than having to go to some one's blog and write an unrelated comment. I'm much better at answering questions if I can respond by email!

EileenKNY said...

I've only been blogging since June, and sometimes I feel like I don't know the protocol. When I read someone's blog, I try to comment, but not with just something like "that's nice". Sometimes though, I just have nothing to say. I do stick to quilting blogs, at least right now.
When I have a lengthy question, I try to ask privately.
Like I said, I don't know all the protocol.

Libby said...

I, too, am just learning my way here. I try to leave comments, but one terrible day earlier in the week, I think most of them ended up in LaLaLand because I wasn't logging in properly.
As far as questions go, I'm trying to figure out the best way to answer. I'll work it all out somehow. In the meantime, I'm having fun.

Anonymous said...

I like to reply individually too, but blogger most often comes up with anonymous instead of an email address. I figured people just weren't filling out the info, because for some I get an address. Is there a way to get all the addys? I don't like responses in the comments--most often people aren't going to go back and check. Geez, who can remember the path?

Barb said...

LOL, that 'anonymous' wasn't intentional--I thought I was signed in.

jpquilter said...

thanks for taking the time to post your ideas - I am new to writing a blog but a long time blog reader and I really enjoy the way people are willing to be honest and share their opinions - I think it helps us all be more respectful