This about 1/2 of the quilt. (The two fish in the middle that about to kiss are the center point.) This was a BOM at a LQS in about 1999. Luckily, my friend had the patterns. I did most of the fishes & as you can see I did some in multiples. Like the 4 "stripped bass" in the top right corner of this photo. My choices were based upon the fabrics in my stash. (I havd 4 of thise stripes, so I made 4 fish.) The BOM had individual blocks & some of the fish had "accessories" like goggles that I left off. I also did not do the big frog with a fishing pole... I guess I'm not a rule follower... :o) The over all size is generous twin. (I cut 6 yards of the water print in 1/2 and then sewed them together - much like the way you piece a back.)
close-up of one fishies... (The eyes are ultra suede.) I used Sharon Malec's applique technique. (She does a glues basted prepared method with the freezer paper on top.) On the very edge near the piano key border, you might be able to see a couple "orange" quilted fishies... The rest of the quilting was done using a sulky thread that had some glint to it - kind of like light reflecting on water. (I used it for the machine applique too.) That quilting has a watery appearance and goes over the appliques so that the fish look like they are in the water. The borders are quilted with pebbley texture. The binding is a "monet" landscape that has a lot of green and blue - I like the way is pushes the envelope on what "goes" with the quilt.
This is 1/2 of the back. I used a realistic fish print to contrast with the funky appliqued fishies. I also used my leftovers from the border... I pulled all of my scraps (Some from the fish, some from "bricks swaps" and some from other bright projects.) and trimmed them to 4.5 inches wide (A "brick" is 2.5 x 4.5 - hence the 4.5 measurement) and sewed them together. I apparently sewed too many for the borders - so voila, ! add them to the back.
Here is a closer view of the back.