Thursday, August 24, 2006

Funky Fish (A new quilt!)

This about 1/2 of the quilt. (The two fish in the middle that about to kiss are the center point.) This was a BOM at a LQS in about 1999. Luckily, my friend had the patterns. I did most of the fishes & as you can see I did some in multiples. Like the 4 "stripped bass" in the top right corner of this photo. My choices were based upon the fabrics in my stash. (I havd 4 of thise stripes, so I made 4 fish.) The BOM had individual blocks & some of the fish had "accessories" like goggles that I left off. I also did not do the big frog with a fishing pole... I guess I'm not a rule follower... :o) The over all size is generous twin. (I cut 6 yards of the water print in 1/2 and then sewed them together - much like the way you piece a back.)
close-up of one fishies... (The eyes are ultra suede.) I used Sharon Malec's applique technique. (She does a glues basted prepared method with the freezer paper on top.) On the very edge near the piano key border, you might be able to see a couple "orange" quilted fishies... The rest of the quilting was done using a sulky thread that had some glint to it - kind of like light reflecting on water. (I used it for the machine applique too.) That quilting has a watery appearance and goes over the appliques so that the fish look like they are in the water. The borders are quilted with pebbley texture. The binding is a "monet" landscape that has a lot of green and blue - I like the way is pushes the envelope on what "goes" with the quilt.
This is 1/2 of the back. I used a realistic fish print to contrast with the funky appliqued fishies. I also used my leftovers from the border... I pulled all of my scraps (Some from the fish, some from "bricks swaps" and some from other bright projects.) and trimmed them to 4.5 inches wide (A "brick" is 2.5 x 4.5 - hence the 4.5 measurement) and sewed them together. I apparently sewed too many for the borders - so voila, ! add them to the back.

Here is a closer view of the back. Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Gail said...

What a fun quilt! My grandson would love it-and I like your approach to the back as well.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Fish-tacular! Looks like you had fun making it - I like the bass! And, great use of scraps on the back - one of these days I have to make a scrappy back!

Cheers!

Evelyn

quiltpixie said...

your fish are very fun..

Melzie said...

That is so cute! And I love the scrappy back also. ;) xoxo melzie

Hedgehog said...

Wow! What are you going to do with the quilt? Thanks for all the details - photos and narrative. How long have you been working on this?

Deb R said...

Cute fish and I love the border.

Lisa D. said...

What a great quilt! Even the back is a visual treat!

Linda_J said...

What a fun quilt, Amy--front and back!

Ruth said...

Love the quilt. Both front and back. Those fish are so groovy!

Libby said...

That is a fun fun quilt. I have a little fisherman friend who would just fall in love.

computerpeach said...

very cute!!!

Mama Koch said...

Very cute....a happy quilt!

Rian said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Fiona said...

Very funky, love those bright colours - and the back - think I might have to keep turning it over to look at it :-)

Kay said...

I like this very much! The quilted-in fish are a great idea.

the_quilter said...

I like the fish. Cute pattern.

Samantha said...

love the scraps on the back- and the fun appliqued fish!

Jeanne said...

Oh wow! This one is FUN! I don't remember you talking about it before??

Jeanne

Cynthia said...

What a great quilt!! Who is the lucky person to get that quilt?

Sweet P said...

That is one great quilt! I love the fish.

Sandra said...

I thought you might have gone for the cheeky cat in a corner somewhere eyeing off the fishes LOL. Great quilt and I love the colours and quilting :-)

Passionate Quilter said...

what a fun quilt and I just love your backing! What a creative way to use all those extra pieces. I know it's a lot of extra work--but it makes looking at the back so much more fun!