Sunday, August 20, 2006

A definate Un-Amy quilt...

I actually like this quilt. It was my second Trip Around the World (TATW). I pieced it the old fashioned way - 1 square at a time. :o) Also that narrow inner border - I "messed up" everytime (I measured how long the pieced should be incorrectly about 8 times total!), but it is a hand dyed and was very forgiving. The outer border is a commercially printed fabric that I found after I pieced the top - amazing when you see how well they match - even in real life! Don't you feel better knowing that I did not do the equavalent of crumb piecing with my scraps! Another couple of notes: this piece used both hand dyeds and commercially printed fabrics in the body & border. One of the commercially printed fabrics gradiated from dark to light - I used the darkest parts and the lightest parts in this piece. As a matter of fact, the darkest/biggest round is that fabric (the lightest part is near the striped fabric). I have no idea what happened to the mediums. :o)

I had seen a TATW in a magazine that had fish and seaweed and stuff appliqued on top of it and that was my plan with this quilt, only after all of the effort that I put into piecing this there was no way that I was going to applique on top of it!

So the fishies are on the back. (One of my first non-muslin backs.) I was actually going to try to "broidery perse" them onto the top in a pleasing manner - can you say UFO... That is exactly what would have happened! Instead I have a beautiful "art quilt." Hey, it hangs on my wall as art...

Also on the back you can see some of Judy's quilting.

no lable... but I made this in about 2001/2002. I call it "A Trip Around the Ocean." Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Linda_J said...

the colors look restful and serene just like the ocean. Hurray for the print back--what fun to discover the nice surprise there.

ForestJane said...

I love blues in a quilt, so I agree, very calming trip around the world!

And I do wish you'd quit pointing out your quilty 'goofs' because if you'd never said anything, I would never have noticed anything at all. What's the rule? would you see it from the back of a galloping horse? lol

cher said...

I have yet to do a tatw, but it's on my list-this came out terrific Amy.

Fiona said...

I think you made the right decision not to applique on top - I can see how the fish would have complemented the colours but the TATW is lovely as it is.

Libby said...

What a perfect solution to get fishys on your quilt.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great way to use your fishy fabric. Glad to hear that you have this beauty hanging on your wall.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Karen said...

What a great quilt, Amy!

Susan said...

Two posts to make up for a week of 5 min. computer sessions! This is a lovely blue one, and I like blue quilts!

Mary said...

I used fish cut from a fabric and appliqued them on a quilt top - it turned out really cute and I'll do it again sometime.

I fused the fish and stitched them by machine. Usually I blanket stitch by hand when I'm doing applique but since I had the top completely assembled it was easier to stitch them down by machine.

Shelina said...

That's a great quilt. I just finished a TATW top. Just have to quilt it. I really like the colors on yours. And a nice name for it.