Friday, August 11, 2006

Daiwabo Taupes - Edited

What is a Daiwabo Taupe? (You can read all about it by clicking...) A lot of people don't "get it" but it "got me!"

Judy at Quilting with Ragdolls posted about her Pinwheels Taupe BOM quilt. I also purchased some of these taupes. I saw them and liked them, but did not get much. I saw them again & really liked them so I got more - enough for at least a twin sized quilt. And then I saw the star fabric (that you can see in these fat 1/8th packs in different colors & now that I looked again you can see them here better...) & I went nuts! I bought at least 1 yard of each of the stars and closer to 4 of several of them. (I also got some 1/4 yard cuts at the tiny quilt shop in NYC.)

I plan to use these to make a traditional churn dash quilt. Like this one only scrappy! OOPS I meant Card Tricks. :o)

With the leftovers, I plan to make a quilt that is in the current "Quilt It" a special publication by QNM that is a 9 patch with dresden plates that look like asters.

I also think that they would look great in this quilt that Laurie Ann at Quilting Rush posted about back in June that she saw on a shop hop pink and brown quilt . This quilt sang to me immediatetly! And I think taupe fabrics would look great in a tumbler quilt like the one that Dawn at Quilts and Pieces shared.

I need to finish a few UFO's first, but I am SOOOOO ready to work with my taupes.

12 comments:

Patti said...

I have loved the Daiwabo Taupes since they first came out. I have to draw the line somewhere, however, so I've not bought any of them. But I've drooled all over them every time I see a picture of them in one of my quilting magazines.

Mary said...

I like the tumbler quilt too. One of these days I'm going to do an Apple core - I love very traditional scrappy quilts!

Karen said...

Oh, scrumptious plans and colors, Amy.

jpquilter said...

these fabrics are beautiful - I think this is what makes japanese quilts so appealing to me, that taupe blends so well with the other colors - thanks for the information

fabricmom said...

Sounds like you have a great idea. I like the taupes too. But I can't afford the $12.00 a yard version. Can't wait to see it whan your done.

Bonnie said...

Those star fabrics are wonderful. I don't blame you for getting them.
And congratulations on purchasing your new home/condo.

McIrish Annie said...

i love taupes but have only seen them at a couple of shows and they were a bit $$$$. but that pink and brown quilt would be perfect. STOP TEMPTING US DURING THE FABRIC DEPRESSION!!!! lol

quiltpixie said...

what a lovely plan. The fabrics look scrumptious

cher said...

your link to churn dash looked like card trick to me Amy- congrats on the soon to be new home and sounds like you will be happy playing with these new fabrics soon.

ForestJane said...

Those are nice!

but I am NOT going to look further into them until I use some of my stash that's spilling off my table first... lol

Libby said...

I think more and more about these fabrics. There is an upcoming quilt show where I might just have to take the dive and begin a little stash. Who knows maybe a tumbler template will jump in my bag at the same time.

Congrats on the new home. Enjoy settling into your new space.

Cynthia said...

Love the fabrics. I will look forward to seeing what you make with them.