Monday, July 31, 2006

second try

These are the cat fabrics. (The background fabrics did not show up.... But they are similar only fairly solid - in a Ioda marbles kind of way...) In each column I have two sets, arranged dark on top, medium in the middle and light last. I am pretty sure that this is the final arrangement as I like to mix the dots with checks or stripes, etc. Please confirm that these are neutral - not that I am going to change them.... "My quilt, my rules."
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use these? I have about 36 total, some repeats and some different. I bought these at a quilt show - don't know why... Other than because the "hard" work is done. IMHO the fussy cutting, wrapping around the shape and stitching together is the hard part.

I do know that I do not care to add another round to the flower...

Also should I fix the block on the upper left? (2 out of 4 of the hexagons are not facing the center...)

Some ideas for uses that I had are: stitch them together, sandwich, quilt and bind; applique them to a yellow ground; applique them onto a border...

Any other ideas? Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

the_quilter said...

Don't fix the one in the upper left. And instead of piecing them all together and then appliqueing onto a backing, how about just appliqueing them individually onto a background? You could add some stems and leaves and have your own special version of a Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Thanks for the comment and information you posted to my blog. I do appreciate it. /paula

Susan said...

Cat colors look great.

Don't fix the one in the corner.

Why not put two of them back to back, whip stitch the edges and add a ribbon for hanging from a Christmas tree or Hanukkah bush? Applique them along the edge of a white pillow case to make it really fancy.

quiltpixie said...

like susan I'd go for an ornament from them, but rather than two together I'd work on setting them all togetehr to make a 3D ornament...

Mary said...

I like making hexagon flowers but wouldn't dream of sewing them together. I usually like them appliqued onto background squares or a border.

The ones I doing now will be used in a strippie quilt - I saw a quilt I liked in one of the Australian quilt magazines.

anne bebbington said...

they all look like childrens prints so I'd go with stitching them back to back and then suspending them to make a mobile (or probably more than one as you have so many) for a new baby's nursery

Nancy said...

Love the cat fabrics. :-)

Serena said...

I love the neutral colors in the cat fabrics! The squares, dots and checks add so much interest when put together!!

Fiona said...

Cat fabrics are purrfect.

Inga Helene said...

What a cute way to make hexagons. I'm going to make a baby quilt for a friend, so maybe this is what I'm going to do.