Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Responses

First, thanks for all of the comments on my Purple Project Spectrum quilt!

Second - regarding the border & my quilting in general...

I am a Nike quilter - I "Just do it." I have never used EQ or anything similar - beyond excel - but even then I did not follow the plan faithfully.

This part of the reason why I am a scrappy quilter - I rarely have "enough" fabric for most patterns... If you are using 73 purples - one more won't hurt. If you used 1 as a background and had to add another it would look "wrong." IMHO - I don't buy into something being wrong...

So the short answer - no I did not audition the border idea first... I am however happy to be "using up" that pile of scraps... I have another pile for a second quilt and yet another pile for a scrappy binding. Since I am doing the scrappy binding I am adding the second solid border - to separarate the piano keys from the binding... Not that that is 100% necessary - It might actually be fun to see where the fabrics run into each other - since it is ALL random!

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

deisgn as you go works so well I find -- nothing can ever be "wrong" then , just a situation to accomodate as I continue designing :) Using lots and lots of scraps is similar.... If one fabric looks "odd" you simply haven't added enough fabrics I figure!

Jeanne said...

This is EXACTLY the kind of quilt planning I like to do! Scrappy and mixed up and ... hmm, let's add some more.

Can't wait to see a pic of the border in action!!

Jeanne :)

Shelina said...

That's how I like to design too. I can't visualize the finished project so it helps to see where things stand and what else is needed.

Laurie said...

I can hardly wait to see your quilt! It sounds like fun!
Hugs
Laurie

Norma said...

"Just Do It" describes my approach to quilting too! I gravitate to scrappy quilts for exactly the same reasons you described! Who knew there were two of us! *VBS*

Bonnie said...

I really admire anyone who can actually do "random". I love random scrappy quilts, but when I do them I invariably plan my randomness. (huh?) Your purple quilt is wonderful and I will look forward to seeing the borders.

Barbara said...

the Random looks great...Great work!

Hanne said...

You are just my kind of quilter Amy. Just do it :-) I love that attitude. I am looking forward to see your quilt !

EileenKNY said...

You are the kind of quilter that I admire. Just do it. The box I'm in has cement walls, and I'm trying to break through, but it's hard.
Looking forward to seeing the borders and binding.
I like all your purples, too.