Monday, July 03, 2006

Quilting update

My intentions were to start on my Project Spectrum purple quilt this weekend. Well I pressed a whole lot of fat quarters... I was not in the mood to cut, so I finished the "scrappy stained glass, rail fence variation, bricks quilt" that I previewed last week. I have never let me repeat NEVER unsewed so much for 1 quilt in my whole quilting career! ) I think it ended up square, becasue I was not able to get it to go rectangular... I want to add a simple black border - but I already mentioned that I was not in the mood to cut...

Since that was a fairly quick finish - should have been a whole lot quicker...

I also worked on another UFO... My Wedding signature quilt. :o) (I have an appointment to get it quilted... Nothing like a deadline to get ya going, huh?)

I am almost replicating this quilt by Janet Pittman for Fons and Porter (May/June 2005).

However, mine is scrappy batiks. I have one light batik background (white roses on cream) - very unlike me, but I knew what I wanted to do, so I bought accordingly. I have more of those triangles on the edge & I will have a narrow red border and a wide outer border - making the quilt bigger...

Aside: Last week, Judy talked about quilt kits... I saw this quilt done in a local quilt show - from the kit & thought about what Juday said (before she said it) Basically, why would she use a quilt kit for that... But then again, I own a few kits waiting for me to make them & I know a few gals who prefer not to "have to" make fabric choices & even some who don't want any "left-overs"...

Bonnie was inspired by this quilt and has provided the directions for something similar here: Smokey Mountain Stars. It is different, the one that I am doing has the stars off set by rows, and Bonnies are in the same row. Either are easy enough to figure out with graph paper...

3 comments:

quiltpixie said...

hope the "cutting bug" hits soon so you can move forward, but it sounds like all is well :-)

Mary said...

I like both this star quilt and the one from Bonnie's site. I've had some version of this on my list for a while.

Elaine Adair said...

Well, that Smoky Mountain Stars is mighty fine! You did an excellent job!

Elaine
www.elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com
(just started this blog)