Tuesday, July 25, 2006

one more time

This is my Purple Project Spectrum Quilt, "Violet crumble." She looks a lot better as a whole than as a pile of blocks... Although some of the combinations are a lot of fun. When I was makeing the blocks, my goal was to not use the same two fabrics in two sets. That goal worked out perfectly. The when I was assembling the blocks into units, my goal was to not have any of the 4, then 8, then 16 fabrics the same - I think I was successful up to the squares that had 16 blocks.... However when I then joined two 16 units together, I got some that are closer that I would have "planned" if I were a planner... Again if I were a planner, some of my more favorite blocks would be more prominently placed too... I am glad that I did not plan it that much - now some of my more favored blocks are on the edge instead of right in the middle.
Here is a close-up of "Violet Crumble." I like the fabric that is 1/2 purple and 1/2 green, but it is only an o.k. choice for this quilt as it tends to read as green next to the definately purple fabrics. I wish I had used it for the inner border - but I did not have enough & I wasn't thinking that far ahead... I really dislike the purple cactus fabric, I got it becasue it is purple & I wanted to make sure that I had a good variety - before realizing that I had a good enough variety already on hand. I like this better any way - becasue my "good enough" variety would have had my fabrics repeating more than twice & I love that these fabrics only repeat twice in the body of the quilt. The repeat more int he borders... Whick BT are 4.5 x whatever - I think the widest bits are 2.5.
Two of the best kitty helpers, Rahpsody on the left and RB on the right. They are sitting on the Wedding Signatures quilt that is waiting for the quilt holder to get back so that it can be photographed. (They are also on the green quilt - ditto the explaination.)

They were too lazy to get up when Michael got home... :o) Michael talked me into taking the photograph - I think they moved shortly there after. The flash must have ruined their restful repose. Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Hanne said...

Your purple project is lovely Amy. I like that it is not planned to the last thread :-) Cute quilt helpers you have there.

Screen Door said...

Nothing like sleeping on a quilt...they must be best friends.
Melanie

Lisa D. said...

Wow - your purple quilt is just FABULOUS! I love the variety of prints you used - simply stunning!

Karen said...

Your quilt is beautiful, Amy; and the furry helpers are incredible.

Fiona said...

Gorgeous quilt - and great to have all those different fabrics - always something different to focus on.

quiltpixie said...

laughed that you weren't fond of hte purple cactus -- I love it! no accounting for taste huh? :=)

computerpeach said...

beautiful quilt!! i love the pattern!

anne bebbington said...

beautiful kitties and I really like the pattern you've used on the purple spectrum quilt

Mary said...

I really like this quilt. You finished the top pretty quickly - was the piecing quick or did you just work a lot on it?

Sweet P said...

I like your purple quilt. There is lots of movement and your eyes are always drawn to another spot on the quilt. Your cat helpers are adorable.

Laurie said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! It is GORGEOUS!!! Great job Amy!
Hugs
laurie

Deb R said...

That turned out great! Love the flow of blocks across the surface and love the border.

ForestJane said...

Nice purple project!

And nice pair of napping cats there. Mine only curl up together when they're cold. :)

May Britt said...

I love your Violet crumble quilt. Its so beutiful. And those two cute helpers. The cats are so funny. Mine is always sleeping on top of the quilt I am working on. Or the fabric I am just going to use. Cathairs everywhere. But I love them.
Hugs from Norway