Friday, July 07, 2006

Australian Fauna 3

This bird is actually wild! It is a honey eater, again there are many varieties of this bird... We saw it land on the bush while we were up in Kuranda (I have a nice shot of that flower that I will share later too - today it is all about the animals) with that said, I have no idea what kind of bird it is or what kind of bush that is either... (I know SAD, but this is a quilting blog.)


This is hte head of a Cassowary. It is native to the Rainforests. It is a HUGE bird (And apparently kills humans).

The photo does not do it justice, but the skin on its nect was BEAUTIFUL!

A dingo...

Fairy Penguins. Hundreds if not thousands of people gather on the beaches to watch the "penguin parade" as these guys return each night from the ocean to their nests. (The was an optional tour to Phillip Island to watch the "parade" Michael & I passed. (I heard it was FREEZING cold...)

Just another pretty bird in what looks like a natural setting.

6 comments:

Nicole and Phil said...

ohhh...you are making me homesick! I am heading back to Sydney in 1 week....and will be in Australia for 6 weeks! I can't wait!
the reason for the comment, is that I have posted a picture of a quilt that I have finished for a friend, after I saw your gorgeous green brick quilt. I have acknowledged you as my inspiration!

Nicole and Phil said...

not sure about the names of the other birds, but peharps if you googled the name of the zoo/park you went to, it may have a gallery of birds and their names...??

Laurie Ann said...

Wow, that dingo looks just like a domesticated dog! Doesn't look wild at all. Wow! Thanks for sharing all the fun pics.

Barb said...

Your dingo ate my baby.

(Sorry, couldn't help it).

Gina E. said...

The first bird in this section (on the blossom with big green leaves) is a HoneyEater of some sort, but there are hundreds of them, and we haven't been able to identify it from your pic.

Gina E. said...

NAUGHTY Barb! The dingo/baby is still a controversial dinnerparty topic in this country!