Friday, July 07, 2006

Australian Fauna 2

Some more bird photos....

I unfortunately do not know the varieties of these birds... So I will record why I took the photos. (or at least what I think I was thinking....)

I took this one because he was posing so pretty & because he held the pose almost begging to have his picture taken!


This bird was huge & the setting looks natural. (I culled some of my photos because they looked too much like a cage...) update: This bird is either a spoonbill or an egret - hard to tell with out seeing the bill...
The opposite of the previous photo, this bird was tiny & I think it is pretty. It is a rainbow bee eater. (I bet you can't tell what it eats...)


I think this may be a male and a female..., I think I took the shot becasue they were close to each other, fairly close to me and the setting is somewhat natural.

These birds look similar to the ones in the previous photo, but I am 99% sure that they are different... (They too have a natural setting.)

4 comments:

cher said...

I am sorry I did not take a ditigal camera when I visited Australia Amy, your photos have been such fun!

Nicole and Phil said...

Aust Fauna 2
the large white one, if it had a long white beak (a bit hard to see from the photo..) if it is white, and a bit like a spoon, it is called a "Spoonbill"
if the beak is black, long and thin, it is probably an Egret

Gina E. said...

Hi Amy, Ken has just had a look at these photos, and agrees with Nicole about the large white bird, but he isn't sure about the others. He said he would check his bird identification book, but don't hold your breath - he's already onto something else on his computer next to me, so has probably forgotten all about your birds - lol!

Gina E. said...

The third pic in this series is of a Rainbow Bee-eater - bees, wasps, hornets, etc. make up 80% of their diet.