Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What I have been up to (more or less)

In honor of Project Spectrum BLUE, here is one of my appliqued cat blocks on a blue star. I showed a green one last month....



And here is an oldie but goodie UFO... I showed some other kitties earlier in the Project Spectrum cycle, I showed some yellow ones...
This UFO started out innocent enough... Blue and yellow kitties for a provencial quilt... I joined a swap & pulled my own to go with... (I am only sharing the solids here) that I where I got into trouble - you see, I love to work with blue & yellow - so my stash is heavy in these colors... And then there is the fact that this block is more tall than wide, so I got confused with figuring out how many to make... I am even going to piece cat paw blocks for the border... & I may do some Tonya letters "Les Chats" for the title. My fabrics run the gammut from chrome yellow a CW repro. to 30's repros. and everything in between!

And then plan 2 came into effect, you see a lot of Judaica prints come in blues and yellow too, so I have quite a few pieced that were Judaic in nature, so I decided to do them alone and to title that one "Chatoolim" - Hebrew for cats.

I have added more blues and yellows (My GF gave me a bunch of her older 30's repros.) to this project - combined with those that I still need to sew from the first selection, so this may not be the end of the planning for this one!

Niether one of these is the blue project that I planned to work on....


So this is what I have been working on instead... It is an old UFO, I am not sure why I set it aside, except for the fact that it was in my mini-group project bag...

The project is all batik of hand dyeds and the colored parts are supposed to be like a charm quilt - no repeats, but I think that there are at least 2 pairs...

This is a "bricks" quilt - do you see why? The colored parts are the bricks and the black parts are the mortar. This is only a rail fence variation. The centers (colored parts) are 2.5 x 4.5 and the blacks are 1.5 x 4.5. Mine is on point, but I have seen this done straight sets. I wish I could tell you how many bricks I have & what size I think my project will end up, but... (I do know that I started with 1 in the corner, then 3, then 5, etc. up to 21 & I have six rows of 21 to make the quilt rectangular.)

14 comments:

quiltpixie said...

What eye candy to start my day, thanks! I really like the applique cat, though can't imagine doing much applique of any form these days... The stainglass effect on the bricks adds some real interst to that pattern. Keep working away....

Screen Door said...

I love it!!!! I'm smiled the minute I saw it...People with pets can't be bad people...It's a perfect shadow of a kitty...
Melanie

Deb R said...

Yay for quilt pics, Amy! I really like all these!

Serena said...

I love the way you insert cats into your quilt!! :)

Samantha said...

Lovely cats, Amy! That bricks and mortar quilt is simply stunning, too.

(My kids love the postcard, thank you!!!)

Laurie Ann said...

Looks like you have a lot of fun projects in the queue. I especially like the bricks and mortar one. Hope you aren't getting too flooded there!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow Amy - lucky for us that blogger was letting you post photos today - you have lots to share! Great ideas are brewing in your neck of the woods.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Jules said...

What a cool bricks quilt. I love the on point aspect.

Hanne said...

Lovely cat block, cat quilt in the making and brick quilt. You keep busy I see ;-)

Laurie said...

Great quilts Amy! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs
Laurie

Mary said...

I like this bricks pattern - didn't you have one in green too? I think I printed that one off to do sometime in the future.

Linda_J said...

well done, Amy! Good luck on the house hunting--what a chore! Sounds like a lot of rain made for an awful commute for many today

Bonnie said...

My favorite is the blue cats. I have never seen that pattern done in one colorway. It is so outstanding - and I love that you name your quilts.

Jeanne said...

I especiallly like "chatoolim!"
Well, I didn't get nearly as much blue accomplished this month as I'd hoped to ... sigh
Jeanne