Friday, June 16, 2006

In Kuranda

Two cool signs in Kuranda - one that you can actually read that tells about the village. The map shows route that you can walk, etc.


Pretty neat, huh?
One of the coolest artsyest things about Kuranda were the everyday ordinary things turned into Art like this street sign. The thing on the bottome that did not turn out well at all is a Praying Mantis!

And this Ant on a trash can lid. And many other things like hand rails that I did not photograph!

But this was the BEST. You may or may not be able to reas the sign bu this is a "Retyred Highway Crocodile." The artist, David M. Jones, made it using tire treads that he found on the highways. BTW In Australia they are Tyres, while in America they are Tires.

Kuranda had a ton of artsy stuff from leather goods, to glass, to wood, to etc.

Michael got a belt & I got two wood turned bowls made from native Australian trees.

3 comments:

Gina E. said...

Amy, I am SOOOOO enjoying your photos and commentary! I've been to most of those places, but many years ago, and it is great to rediscover them through your blog. Aren't those glass bottomed boats a neat idea? I never went snorkelling while I was in those parts, as I was with a disabled friend who would not have been able to go with me. (that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!).

anne bebbington said...

I love the crocodile - they're tyres in the UK too - a friend of ours who has a biug garden with trees to attach it to has a child's swing in the shap of a horse made from old tyres too - what fun :o)

ForestJane said...

The crocodile caught my eye too! What a neat way to recycle old chunks of tire. :)