Friday, May 12, 2006

To border or not to border...

This is the border fabric. Aren't those MOD kitties GREAT! Here it is being auditioned with my zipper quilt - also a MOD design.... Coincidence? I think not...

However, I am going to try really hard to not go and buy the border print until after I return from Australia.... (If it is still available then it was meant to be if not...)

No, I did not sew anymore on my zipper quilt... But I did start my Project Spectrum green post card... (I hope to mail it tomorrow so that it will hopefully arrive at it's final destination before Wednesday - my last posting day before we leave...I don't want to post it before it arrives & spoil the suprise!)

I have decided that if I use those kitties, that I will probably use an orange narrow inner border - there is no purple on that print.... I will also probably use orange for the binding - I kind of like the look of the inner border and binding being the same or similar - even though I originally thought that I was going to use a green & white stripe... (I will use the green & white stripe for the binding if the border print sells out before I can get any - because I will then be back to plan A - no border....)

We got our Australian Dollars yesterday - guess what? They are plastic! I kid you not....

Now it really is setting in that we are 7 days away from a FULL day in airports or on planes - can you say "Applique." FULL - wondering about the emphasis? Our first flight leaves at about 11:30, you need to get to the airport 2 hours earlier we are taking public transportation, so we need to get on the 7 a.m. bus to the subway to the train to the 9:15 shuttle bus to the airport. (We could have taken another bus inlieu of the train, but doing that would be tempting the traffic fairies.... The trains do not get stuck in rush hour traffic....) We fly to Dallas (rather short layover) and onto LA where we have a 6.5 hour layover. We finally get on Quantas to Sydney at 10:30 p.m. I am calling that a FULL day in airports or on planes. And I am bringing my kitty blocks to applique (I only need to thread baste two or three more then I can pack them!), maybe even a book - in addition to our travel Scrabble game.

14 comments:

Michele said...

The best thing about the plastic notes, Amy, is that if you forget to take the cash out of your pocket, you can wash your clothes, hang them on the line and still have your cash intact. Happened to me yesterday, in fact, and I had ironed my jeans, too. I put them on and found $100 in my pocket. Wow. We converted to the plastic notes about 15 years ago.

It has also gotten colder than usual in the last few days, time to dig out the winter woolies. Have a great trip! Do you want to come have dinner with us after your day out to Featherdale? Email me if you do.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb R said...

I love the border fabric, but agree with you that the quilt needs a little "peacemaker" border between the E's and the cats.

I think the plastic money is cool. :-)

Laurie Ann said...

Yes, those cats will be perfect for the border! I'll bet you are so excited about your trip!!! You are going to have such a great time!

Hanne said...

An orange narrow border will look good with the cat border. I hope you will have the trip of your life going to Australia ! Enjoy - you will be missed :-)

Deb H said...

I love the cats fabric, very cute. Have a fun holiday!

Laurie said...

Amy,
LOVE the MOD border with the MOD zippers! GO FOR IT!
Hugs
Laurie

Vicky aka stichr said...

Amy have your hubby take pix of you appliqueing in all the airports and on the planes. It will make lively blogging.

I agree with you all, a little orange between the zips and kits.

All that green you have been working on made me think about the Green UFO's I have....no pix tonight, but I did work on one.

Miss Dot said...

when the plastic $5 first came out there was a movement to scratch out the queens eyes on the note as a protest against being a Monarchy rather than a Republic, it didn't last long but they are probably still out there. Have a great time in Sydney, I am on the otherside of Australia.

Kay said...

I hope you have a very uneventful flight. The best thing about the flight to Australia is that you leave late in evening and it stays dark, so you can sleep. Not as bad as I anticipated.

I love that border fabric; orange would be good in between. Have you considered a shade of pink? I love that with green.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oh, that is just the best-est most purr-fect-ist fabric for a border - so you! I love it!

About flying - wear shoes easy to take on and off - last time I flew I had to take my shoes off FIVE times for security - with a toddler! It sounds like a long trip, but I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time! The journey is worth the destination!

Cheers!

Evelyn

cher said...

love the border fabric and pretty much agree with the narrow border color ideas too...have a wonderful honeymoon Amy!

Patti said...

I'm going to wish you a wonderful trip now just in case I don't have a chance to read blogs again before you leave. Take lots of pictures to show us. You should have lots of finished cat blocks to show us also - that is a LONG time traveling!

Norma said...

I love that cat fabric! The idea of a narrow border between the body of the quilt and the cats is a great idea. Orange is a perfect choice!