Monday, May 01, 2006

This week in The Calico Cat's planner

Since I am less that 1 month away from my visit to Australia (can you read the excitement) & since the National Aquarium in Baltimore has an exhibit on Australia, my girlfriends and I are going on Thursday to see the exhibit! Am I the only one who does that kind of pre-trip study? I have read through both Fodor's & Frommer's Guide Books & the internet can not hold anymore information that I have found already. BTW as far as the official tourism websites go Queensland is the best IMHO - New South Wales was tricky... Not sure where that tangent came from...

Another tidbit that made me blog this subject yet again.... We got our e-tickets and itinerary this past weekend. 6.5 hour layover at LAX on the way there from 4 til 10:30, it can not take that long to get to the international part of the airport - can it? & a 5 hour layover on the way back. Not to mention that we stop in Dallas both ways.... I need to call the travel agent to see if any of this is changeable. (If I have to stop mid-way, I would prefer Houston - my dad might be able to see us - he works at Hobby Airport. & I prefer to get into LA at say 7 p.m. instead of at 4. the 10:30 p.m. flight to Sydney is o.k.)

Back to the more pleasant part of studying the visit before going!
"The Aquarium's Australian exhibit, Animal Planet Australia: Wild Extremes, depicts amazing stories of survival in an extreme environment.
The highly adaptive animals in wild Australia have survived over millions of years in a land of drought, fire, and flood.
More Than a Stone's Throw AwayAustralia, roughly the same size as the United States, is the world’s largest island. Separated by ocean from the rest of the world, Australia has a higher percentage of endemic animals than any other continent on earth, meaning that many of its species are not naturally found outside the country.
These animals – living creatures that are as close to prehistoric as can be found on earth – developed over millions of years in solitude.
Most of us will never get within a cooee of these creatures without going to wild extremes."
Sounds cool, huh? Sure has me intrigued. The exhibit appears to mainly be focusing on the Norther Territories which is fine with me becasue that is not part of our actual vacation!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I always *research* my trips by buying a guide book(s) and checking out internet sites. That way I know something about the area I'm visiting and know what I want to see while I'm there.

This post reminds me that once I get home from San Antonio I have to pull out all my guide books on Ireland and start planning that trip for Octobere.

Kay said...

You're going to love Australia! We were there three years ago and would love to go back. One place I recommend that I hadn't heard about before I went is the Great Ocean Road outside of Melbourne. Spectacular scenery, somewhat like Great Sur. We took a wonderful tour that was a highlight. But there was nothing bad. Have a great time!