Monday, May 15, 2006

My weekend

Well for my weekend adventures, I planned to make and mail my May Project Spectrum Green postcard... I got it made, but not in time to mail it! So I'll stop by the post office today on my lunch break.

Perhaps that is because I wanted to get my zipper quilt done first... (I can admit it!) This photo of my zipper quilt is the "sideways" view... it is wide enough, but not long enough....

Should I just turn it so that it will still be wide enough and longer? So that my border does not look too funky to compensate for the growth spurt that my quilt went through while on the sewing machine...

In my mind it should have worked out perfectly, but in my mind the zippers had 7 teeth not 5, so the block would have been rectangular in the up and down way instead of slightly rectangular on the across way... technical jargon for ya early on Monday morning!

I could add a few more rows... I know I have more greens in my batiks, orientals, hand-dyeds, Jan Mullens and novelties - off the top of my head, not to mention those that did not make the original quilt because of the numbers... (Hard to believe, but it is true.) so I could keep it scrappy. And for the majority of these I have enough from the strips that I cut for these blocks to make more... Should I make it bigger? If I do should I keep it scrappy? Would it look "weird" if there was a row of batiks? Considering that everything else is mixed up...

I am still trying to hold out on buying that "perfect" fabric for the border until after my trip to Australia in 5 days (we leave on Friday, but I will be off line as of Wednesday afternoon. Until when? I'm not 100% sure... I doubt that I will get online while in Australia, but wilder things have been known to happen...) Oh, how long did you think it was going to take me to mention the trip?

Back to the zipper... It was just suggested that maybe a pink inner border would be nice... Some of those kitties are pink... I have pinks in my stash (one in particular might be "just right.") So that idea may evolve yet...

In the meantime, after I pieced together my zipper and my postcard, I finally changed the thread in my machine and top stitched my April Orange bulls-eye flowers from last month!

BTW in case you want to practice "free-motion" quilting, try to do a few of these flowers.... My first 10 or so flowers, I stopped and started lifting the presser foot and rotating around the flowers, but by the time I got to the end of my 40 blocks, I was pretty much stitching them as if I were quilting... (At least that is what I think I was doing... I don't really quilt... But now that I have a brand new machine, I might tackle a wall-hanging or two...)

As you can tell from the photo, I even sliced and diced them and sorten them into blocks! Although I may "stagger" the blocks - you know where you have a 1/2 block on the top of one row instead of all full blocks - just to do something different!

Another tidbit on these blocks, the author did her slice and dice on the diagonal... (I did not feel like dealing with the bias edges, so I stuck with the traditional method.)

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Howdy!
I guess yes, I'd make the green zippers longer, unless it's close enough to being square that an extra inch or so of width on the top and bottom borders would make it even out. I think the sideways rectangle shape doesn't reinforce the long ZIIIIIP effect, but square could be OK. Batiks are fine, but how about taking a couple of these rows apart and putting the batiks inside somewhere? Then the last rows would still be this kind of scrappy.
Love the orange flowers! I always enjoy buzzing up those bulls-eye style blocks -- fast and fun. The diagonal slash/bias edges would be way more trouble than it's worth. These are happy and quirky just like this.
Wow, you're getting LOTS done! Guess you've made friends with that new machine!
I bet you're counting the hours until your trip!!
Hugs ~ Jeanne

cher said...

good that you got so much sewing done! I agree with Jeanne on adding to the zipper top-so good luck with sorting that out!

Laurie Ann said...

I love that zipper top and just can't believe how fast you've put it together! If you make it bigger I think I would keep is scrappy. A row of just batiks may stand out. I'll bet you are so so excited about your trip!!

Samantha said...

The quilt looks great, and I'd go longer, personally. I agree with Jeanne up above...