Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Green zipper saga

Well, it is almost embarassing... I easily found the 24 (actually 32) "extra" greens that I wanted/needed to make my zipper quilt longer & still scrappy.

First I told you about the greens that I knew were in my cats on stars travel applique project. I though there would be 4 or 5 in there that I had not already used - make that 8 or 9.

While rummaging to find my batik stash, I remembered a quilt as you go project that will use this beautiful Koi print as its focus fabric.... Notice that Olive green... I had about 8 or 9 of those in the "PIGS" box. (PIGS = Project in Grocery Sack - mine is actually in a box) & from the first 64 greens, I added the "leftovers" to the box to add to this project. Now that I have a machine that can zig zag, I might want to dig this one out again....

My hand dyeds are right near that box as is a pile of Orientals (I am not sure why they are "out" they have their own box too...) So I pulled from both of those stashes too - Uncounted number of hand dyeds. You see I came to my senses before chopping into them... I got a great deal on a big scrappy bundle at a show once & I have a friend who dyes & gives the fabric as gifts - I have a few of her greens... Not to mention my friend who makes her living as a hand dyer... I have a few of hers as well, but not so many in green. Only a few green Orientals - none of which really made the cut for this quilt.

And finally my Jan Mullen stash! (I pulled every green first from every pile/stash/hiding spot & then I counted and then I cut) I have about a dozen of her greens...

Can you see where I am going with this story? I first cut the tone on tone commercial prints & a few hand-dyeds - when I got to the "bundle deal" I stopped to count first. I had already cut about 27 fabrics! I thought I only wanted 24 more.... So to make the numbers work, I cut three of the Jan Mullen prints...

No batiks (only had 5 greens any way) or Orientals, no novelties, & only a few hand-dyeds made it into round two.

So I will be able to add the 4 new rows of 8 without having the project look off balance - if that makes any sense....

Hey I even cut some, so that I can hopefully sew on this project before I leave for Australia on Friday in the early hours of the morning. (I am taking tomorrow off to hopefully take care of any last minute needs and to drop of the kitties at Kitty City.)

Thanks for the help with the books... I have decided that "IF" I bring a book it will be by Kathy Reichs. I actually own a couple of her books that I have not read yet. (I won them from a radio station) The big "IF" - I really should be appliqueing instead of reading... & the weight issue. We are only allowed 1 carry-on and 1 under bag that has to weigh less than 44 lbs. each. As it is we are both over 3o lbs. & we haven't even purchased any trip trinkets! I even removed a sweater & some other stuff - worst case scenario, I can buy a new one... And - "1 final And" we have a couple travel books to bring - just in case! (We already have 99% of our trip planned & all of the lodging was done for us, so we don't need that part of those books...)

Did anyone play my MEME?

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ha, no -- doesn't surprise me at all that a healthy stash can produce almost three dozen MORE greens! :)

You must be SOOOO excited about the trip!!!! Are the kitties looking forward to their time at summer camp?

I'm still mulling over the meme -- trying to come up with enough ideas.

Laurie Ann said...

Wow, that's a lot of new greens! I think the ones you chose will really make a nice addition. That koi print is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you make from that one!

Samantha said...

Hooray on finding the greens!