Saturday, April 01, 2006

School & fabric

Several people asked about my going back to school.

For advancement in my job, I need 24 "business" credits. Those can be under several categories from accounting to law... I am starting with a Project Management class (because it fits the guidelines set forth by my job & the time period that I have available for a summer class. You see, our trip to Australia in May coincides with the first summer session) this July and in the fall I will take 1 or 2 pre-law classes. With the big plan being my going to Law School if I like studying law and if I do well in my pre-law classes.

A bit of Amy's college education History...
Way back in the early 1990's when I first went to college, I thought I would study computers, I got "C's" in my first two classes, so I figured that was not the career path for me. (Similar scenario in Psychology & Nursing - actually for the Nursing, I did not want to take chemistry - the anatomy & physiology on the other hand I loved!) I ended up with a degree in Elementary Education which was a great fit while I was in college, but once I was in a classroom full time by myself it was HORRIBLE.

So eventhough I had more than a few majors, I do not have any business credits... Also I want to know now if Law School is a good fit for me at the undergraduate level rather than while I am knee deep into it! (If I get C's in the pre-law classes, I only "need" 24 business credits - but I "want" an advanced degree.)

I also mentioned fabric... There was a quilter's yard sale in my area this morning $2 per yard. Her style was so not my style, but I did find a non-white light - white with green speckles & some go with greens, so that I can use even more of my novelties to do one of Judy Martin's new patterns - probably the one behind her that you can see on her home page. I really like that shadow effect - you can see it "similar but different" in the star quilt too. (There is yet another shadow pattern that is not shown on the webpage & 1 or 2 other patterns that I like in her new book.) You can see how you really "need" 1 background to help make the pattern work - I think I am "pushing the envelope" by using scrappy greens for the shadows, but then again, I am a REBEL! My backgrounds are mostly under 1 yard, so I "needed" a big background & at $2 per yard this was the way to get it! Besides now I am making a green quilt where as I would have done white with tan....

I also got a selection of plaid & striped homespuns.... I know, I know "buy you HATE homespuns!" I need to make a masculine quilt and nothing says masculine more than plaid! Besides they were only $2 per yard!

4 comments:

Finn said...

Hey Amy, thank you so much for your very sweet comments over at my place. You loving the fish in those string blocks just made my day! I tried to send an email, but I still have one glitch in the computer from the switchover to DSL. Unfortunately, the glitch is with Outlook Express. It keeps asking me to give it a dial up connect...pesky. Still haven't tracked down the error string to fix. So I use my yahoo or Incredimail..what it boils down to, is the email thanking you didn't fly...LOL So consider your self special in my book...*VBS*

AND..I also found the new Scraps book in my mailbox last week. Nice to hear you have it too. Not sure what if anything I will make from it, but it's fun to get it and dream...right?? Did you want me to search my yellows and see if I have any more of the yo-yo's? I'm fairly doubtful, as I used them in a bargello, and it was a FQ from a swap..but I could look..*S*

Jeanne said...

Heehee, now I on the other hand LOVE homespuns!
Aaah, the attending-school stuff makes me tired just reading about it. And I laughed about your teaching experience. I was an elementary school librarian for many years. That environment sure isn't for everyone!!!!
Jeanne :)

cher said...

good luck with the new courses-maybe this major will be the "right" one.

Holly said...

Hey, thanks for answering my question about school. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm still plugging away on my homespun log cabin so I'm in it with ya, girl:)