Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Quilt show photos part 2

Sorry I missed getting the maker's name and title on this one, but I took the picture at the Friendship Star Quilter's Guild Show in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I am calling it the Junk Drawer. I think the concept is GREAT. (I used to collect pins & this would be 1 way to display them.) In the super up close up you can see "real" antique hook & eye packs and a 1/2 spool, since the whole spool would be too thick, but you can also see the "Photo Transfer" of a watch, so not everything is 3-D. Do you have pieces of antique lace (I carried an antique crochet edge hankie in my wedding - it was my "Something Old."), old button cards, trinkets from your travels, single earrings, etc. Maybe you can diplay them (Or photo transfers of them) in a junk drawer quilt. I also really like the background, those blocks are "LOW" contrast, but effective and still identifiable. (I honestly do not care for the lady - half young, half old is creepy to me...)

One last thing, I think the "drawer" is either based on "shadow boxes" or printers moveable type drawers. (Or are those the same thing?) I remember my mother had "Shadow Boxes" that she filled with figurines... (I think they were deeper than the printers drawers.)

If I were to do this, I would only do the shadow box... Now what memories would I fill my cubbies with...

6 comments:

Serena said...

What a wonderful idea!! Trinkets and little knick knacks could easily be added to a quilted shadow box! Thanks for the photo!!

Jeanne said...

Oooh,I LOVE this "junk drawer" one! How nice that he goes to shows with you -- mine won't!! But we do go grocery shopping together every week :)

My interent was down -- I'm behind on reading.
Jeanne

Linda_J said...

WOW--what wonderful quilts! I think that the Friendship guild is one that one of my former secret pals Janet M belonged to--in the DC area. I have seen pictures of some of the past shows and there are some very talented qulters in the group!

Sandra said...

Amazing quilts and talent - thanks for the photos!

Barb said...

That is flippin' incredible. Reminds me of sculptures that are shrines. I love those.

Lois R. said...

Amy, I found my show guide from that quilt show and figured out who made this quilt and the title. It was made by Margaret Hartranft and is called "The Singularity -- Moments to Remember." She says that the quilt is made to depict an older woman's memories. The half old/young face represents her memories of being young and that she still feels young. The quilt was inspired by the poem "The Singularity" by Lillian Morrison.