Monday, April 10, 2006

A MeMe

I love MeMe's - you sometimes get a glimpse inside someone, other times just some fun facts. Here is a fun fact one from DebR. Here's the deal. You go to Wikipedia and enter your birthday in the search box - just the day, not the year. It pops up with all sorts of things that happened on that day in various years. You list three events, three births, and three deaths that have occurred throughout history on your birthday. My day is January 30. (My ramblings if any on why I chose that item are in Green... I think the encyclopedia hyper links are intact, so you can learn more if you want.)
Events
1661 -Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is formally executed - after having been dead for two years.
1835 - A mentally ill man named Richard Lawrence attempts to assassinate President Andrew Jackson in the United States Capitol -- the first assassination attempt against a President. Both of Lawrence's pistols misfire, and Jackson proceeds to beat his would-be assassin with his cane.
1889 - Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austro-Hungarian crown, was found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in Mayerling. How they died remains a mystery.

Births
1941 - Dick Cheney, Vice President of the United States (What does this mean about me - if anything)
1962 - Mary Kay Letourneau, American teacher (ditto)
1980 - Wilmer Valderrama, American actor (Is he really that young?)

Deaths
1649 - King Charles I of England (executed) (b. 1600)
1836 - Betsy Ross, American seamstress (b. 1752)
2006 - Coretta Scott King, civil rights activist and wife of Martin Luther King, Jr. (b. 1927)

Since tagging is generally part of the MeMe experience, consider yourself tagged!

2 comments:

Jules said...

I did it, Amy.

Jeanne said...

These are interesting -- I'll do mine later, when I have more time.

Loooong ago, I saw a movie called Mayerling, with I think Omar Sharif and Catherine Deneuve. I only remember "sad love story."

Jeanne