Tuesday, March 14, 2006

poppy quilt - passage of time


This is another quilt that was hanging at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. (It was in instructors row, but I missed the maker's name...)

I took the photo because this quilt shows the passage of time - something I just LOVE! Also this is kind if (Wild stretch of your imagination) like an idea that I have for a quilt that I will make once I own a home and know the space that I have to fill.... I want to document the phases of the moon in a quilt, starting with the new moon (A quilted circle on my background) through waxing crescent, waxing gibbous, & half (with quilting completing the circle on each) to a full moon and back through half, waning gibbous, & waning crescent to a new moon (9 "moons" to cover a full lunar cycle.) heavily quilted with stars - I am seeing them as asterisks, pluses, and dashes - so that some appear to be closer than others....

I need to buy a place first, but I do see this as a prominent piece of "Art" in my home - maybe the length of a sofa...

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

You know I'll be waitig to see that moon-phase project!

Have you tried your new machine yet?

Jeanne

Finn said...

Neat idea Amy...*VBS* And you do get alot of THOSE!! You go girl!

Laurie said...

that is a gorgeous quilt...i love the colors!

and i want to know if you've used the new machine yet!!!
hugs
laurie

Cathi said...

I like the idea for your moon quilt and that poppy one is lovely as well. I'm jealous about the new machine, lucky girl!

Patti said...

Love your quilt idea - I can just picture how it might look. Behind a large couch sounds like a perfect place to put it. Now that you've told us about it we'll be wanting to see you start on it!

Kay said...

Great idea for the moon quilt! And I love your helper kitty. Hope both of you enjoy the machine

Kay said...

I had another thought about your moon phase quilt--you could also hang it over a bed. I've been thinking about making one for that purpose, and thought I'd pass this idea on. (I have a neurotic fear of a picture falling on my head while I'm sleeping--a quilt is softer! :) )