Monday, March 27, 2006

I almost forgot... (Updated 03-28-06)


I picked up a panel of these cats - I know you are suprised.... I want to use them as the center of log cabin blocks - I once saw a quilt that used something similar, but the logs created diagonal rows of color. So the top of one had red while the bottom of another alos had red so that when the two came together they helped create the red row of color. (I think one of the sides also had red - the log cabin layout would be straight furrows) Anyone know what I am talking about? Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks so much to Mary who found the exact thing I was trying to describe on the back of Clever Quilts Encore by: Susan Teegarden Dissmore. Which is similar but different to the quilt that Jeanne did on February 23, 2006 (scroll down a bit to see it.)

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Amy! Maybe you're thinking of that prim applique log cabin I did a while back? There's a pic of it in my Feb. 23 entry.

I'm making your brisket Wed/Thur!
Jeanne :)

Mary said...

There's a book called Clever Quilts Encore that has what you're thinking about. I'll try to email you the link.

Nancy said...

Yes I have seen something similar done. I have a piece of fabric with blocks of butterflies. One day I plan to cut it apart and use the butterflies as the center of some log cabin blocks.

Also I've seen where you make courthouse squares blocks as setting blocks using lights on two opposite sides and darks on the other 2. Used as setting blocks you get the same effect as when you use hourglass blocks. This would look good with your panels as the alternate blocks.

BTW, that set of panels is on my wish list. I'm trying to stay out of fabric stores until retreat in 3 weeks to save my $$$ for a shop hop we'll be doing. Hopefully one of the shops we go to will have the panels. If not I'll order them when I get home. (If I have any $$$ left!)

cher said...

good idea to play with those panels..nice to have friends come to the rescue with links!

Laurie Ann said...

Those panels are just adorable!!! And your idea of incorporating them into a log cabin type of block will be perfect!

Laurie said...

Amy,
The panels look like they have a LOT of possibilities! Have fun with them!
Hugs
Laurie

Susan said...

Oh Amy - I need those blocks (yeah right) - Well ok - I just want them. Where did you find them? I have a crosstitch done of one block that my sister did. So I really do NEED it.
Thanks, Susan from the catsnquilts group and about.com group too

Mary said...

I think I read too much. There was another post on Stashbusters today about an envelope quilt and not only did I know that it had been on a Simply Quilts episode but I knew that it was in one of the Possibilities books. I wasn't sure which book because I have a bunch of theirs.

I love books. Glad I could help.

Gina said...

Those are so lovely!

Sharon said...

Love the kitties - this should be really really cool when it's finished!

Holly said...

CUTE panels, Amy! That's gonna make a nice log cabin. I also like your applique cats quilt. Have you tried needle turn applique? That's the only method I use now.