Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Block party

This is my travel project; the one that I worked on on Sunday. I figure if I prepare the appliques that I can hand applique them while in airports and on planes with out having to worry about scissors - even though you are supposed to be able to bring them on planes again. (I would end up with a snarky TSA guy who would give me grief & on vacation, I don't need grief!) There are many ways to applique by hand & by machine. And then again there are several ways still to applique by hand or by machine. This method - freezer paper under - is by far my least favorite hand method, but I thought (& still think) it is the best way for this project. Ya know, sometimes you have to listen to the project.

So at this point, you can seetwo of my three of my prepared kitties. I still need to turn the edges, clip the "ins" and glue the seam allowance to the freezer paper for my other 12 cats.

12 more, but you already did 3, I thought this was a BOM - it is, but I could not decide which color to exclude, so I added three more blocks for a 3x5 layout instead of the intended 3x4 - would that make me a REBEL? (Or would my color choices be what made me a rebel?) I am showing the 4 blocks together so you can see the secondary design - I LOVE secondary designs, which is why I shy away from sashing. That rainbow print will also be my binding (maybe event he narrow inner border) while the outer big border will be piano key using the "solid" scraps. (like the "original" shown below) I have a rainbow kitties flannel for the back! (most of the solids were from my stash and the back was from my stash. Back when I did buy for this project, I only bought the background - a pearly white by Lakehouse (I couldn't find their URL, but a sampling for sale at an online quilt shop can be seen here. BTW The backing for my pink quilt is a Lakehouse hydrangea fabric.) & the star points - they were new at the time. I can admit that the blocks have been pieced for a while - I did the center 16 patches using the "leader-ender" method. The best part - when I pieced the blocks together, the points should still be pointy! I have been terribly lazy about preparing the appliques. :o)


You can buy the pattern at Cottonseed Glory, a quilt shop in Annapolis, Maryland. (It is right near the naval Academy, so don't bother trying to go there when Navy is doing anything sporty...) My layout will be the same with the colors going in a diagonal - just add 1 more diagonal for the 5th color.

On the I SPY front, quilt number 1 has the correct number of charms finally! Quilt number 2 needs a few more it is far easier to add a few that to try to take a way a few... & quilts numbered 3 & 4 have a start - Out of several prints, I cut up to 3 pieces, so it it like dealing cards with some of the fabrics. (Thanks for the idea Starfishy.)

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh, wow, Amy! This is going to be a spectacular quilt! I love the colors and the cat shapes. Did the cats all come from one fabric, or did you have to gather them individually? Can't wait to see this top in all its glory!
How's the new machine? Have you bonded yet?
Jeanne :)

Laurie Ann said...

I really love that cat applique quilt. REALLY neat, I love the idea of having the cats on the pieces blocks. Now they need a pattern with dogs! :) Actually I recently finished two dog appliques and I am sick of them! :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

My all time favorite thread cutter for airplanes - an old dental floss container! Just pop your thread into the container and you are good to go.

Your cats project is coming along great. I like secondary designs too.

Cheers!

Evelyn
aka Starfishy

Deb R said...

Looking good, Amy!!

Helen in the UK said...

I love those kitties and the colours you have chosen. Can't wait to see how this one progresses.

Crystal said...

Wow! I love those cats. I would have never thought to place them on pieced blocks. One more for the "want to make" folder.

KathyB in eastern PA said...

Oh my, Amy...your cat blocks are wonderful. Love the appliques.

Carolyn said...

Very pretty quilt! I LOVE Cottonseed Glory, such a sweet shop with so much beautiful fabric! I've only been there once, but did some major damage to my VISA! I have a friend who works at Capital Quilts...another great shop!

cher said...

this will be one stunning quilt once it is done Amy...very colorful and fun!

Barb said...

How do you get so much done so quickly? I must be the slowest sewing person on the planet! It takes me forever just to get tiny projects done!

Samantha said...

That is a wonderful cat projecft, and your colors are just lovely!!

ForestJane said...

I like the cats, but having two siamese, I'd have to re-draw them all and make them siamese... lol

Love your colors though!

Jane

Kay said...

How cute this is! Applique on a pieced background is such a wonderful combination, and your colors are so cheerful