Thursday, January 05, 2006

What is it?


It is an experiment!
I like applique, when I am in the mood. But my applique "moves." I saw Carol Armstrong on Simply Quilts several years ago & liked her patterns. So I bought her book. (Oh how I was over my head.....) I also like double wedding ring, but the thought of piecing it - lets just say that that is not an Amy friendly pattern. :o) So while flipping through Carol's book Wildflower Designd for Applique, I saw an appliqued double wedding ring with Dogwood blossoms - have I mentioned that I LOVE Dogwood trees? I knew I wanted to make this quilt. (only smaller - reality is my friend)
At a quilt show, I purchased the "Perfect" fabrics for this project. The are hand dyeds - I got a gradiation of pink for the blossoms and a couple greens for leaves and binding. I decided that the templar and starch method would be best for this project - several of the same shapes used over and over. I was even able to purchase a single sheet of templar. I don't choose that applique method often.... (I later found that I had some at home. Moral: make a list and check it twice before heading off to shop!) I traced and cut out my shapes in templar.

Why you might ask did I get it pre-quilted?
My thought is that with my "moving applique" problem, I needed to get my quilt sandwich quilted first so that I could applique in the lines.... Finding someone to take up the challenge was challenging.... To begin with it was exceptionally hard to describe what I wanted & then there is the fact that quilting circles requires a special tool that not all quilters own & then becasue I want to follow a pattern, they needed to be spaced correctly, etc. I persevered, but the project stalled.
Another book by the same author that I own: (I am a "SUCKER" for cat quilt patterns, books, fabric, etc.)
Cat's on Quilts by Carol Armstrong (The hyperlink is to Amazon - where you can see a bit of the inside.)
Apparently based upon the hyperlink above, you can now get the pattern that I want to do singlely, but it was originally published in this book:
Wildflower Designs for Applique (Again an Amazon Hyperlink)

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Now THAT'S a unique way to make sure your applique lines up! Can't wait to see how this comes out.

Deb R said...

What Nancy said!! :-)

Jules said...

I would have never thought to do that. I hope it works out for you.

Laurie said...

Amy,
I agree with Nancy...keep us informed!
Hugs
Laurie

Manda said...

Hi Amy, I've sent you an email in response to your comment on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

quiltpixie said...

What a neat idea. I never would have thunk to do a whole cloth quilt and then "add" the applique. Talk about creative problem solving. I'm looking forward to seeing it as you work away on it.

Sandra said...

Now this is an innovative idea! I can see a book with all sorts of patterns here :-)

JudyL said...

I think that's a great way to do it!

Judy