Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Stars


First, Last night I cut out 800 background squares for my stretched star quilt. about 1/2 are teal - the others are scrappy. (I need to get some graph paper and color up how they will be pieced....)

Second, this quilt is my first Star Fling quilt. Yes, DebR my star quilt is now done too! Similar yet different..... Aslo similar to Finn's quilt in progress (scroll down to December 16, 2005.)

I have started to trim scraps and squares down to 3.5 inches (those that are not big enough to be 5 inch squares - aka nickels) so that I can make more of these. This quilt is for my cousin's daughter, Kassidy. I was out of contact with my cousin until very recently - so Kassidy is a toddler. Kassidy's mom Cheryl is expecting her second child - that baby quilt will be shown tomorrow. (Yes it is done - before the baby is even here.)

This pattern is so easy and forgiving and FREE. If you have a need for a swap block or have a group of quilters with varying skill levels you could use this pattern to make a nice gift quilt.

My next one will have an Americana feel as I have already cut red and blue background and point squares. I will mix them with whites as backgrounds and points. not sure how the will all gotogether, but I am sure that they will.....



Now to remind myself that I want to do Nickel Quilts this year.... (Technically this is "Nickel friendly"......)

With all of that said, I think this is my official, "I need a gift quilt" pattern.

I have a included some close-ups so that you can see the quilting. On this one I let Linda, "play." Actually, I always just let the long arm quilter "play." I figure part of what I am paying for is the quilting decision. And it is very rare that I have a


definate idea on how I want something quilted. Maybe that is why I don't really try to quilt myself......

This quilt is a good example (aside from the pink excessiveness and single background fabric) of what I like to do. Stripes, brights, dots, novelties....

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Very pretty! I'm sure Kassidy will love it!

Deb R said...

It's very cute, Amy! Ok, I get that it's a bit on the PINK side for your taste (mine too, for that matter), but it's perfect for a little girl. I love it!

Samantha said...

That's a fun quilt! I like the pink, but then, I love pink.

Finn said...

Love the frog..and really, really like the machine quilting.

Marilyn said...

Great pattern! Thanks for posting the link to it. I love Terry Atkinson's patterns because they are usually very forgiving for the piecing-challenged. LOL! One of the three tops I have ready for quilting right now is a Lucky Stars (also Atkinson) done in Patriotic prints, so I'm sure your Americana will look great.

Marilyn

Laurie said...

Amy,
Too cute! I just love it! It will be loved!
Hugs
Laurie

Jules said...

Fun quilt and I love the quilting, too.

Nancy said...

I love this - pink and all. (But then I do like pink.)

Lucy said...

Lovely quilt , adorable for a little girl :c)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Gosh Amy - with all the cutting you are doing, I hope you treat yourself to a pack of new rotary blades! Great kids quilts - I love them! I have never tried stripes on a binding, but do like the effect. The machine quilting is a dream!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Barb said...

Holy crap, and you call yourself a novice quilter? Damn, that's pretty amazing.