Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Spring


Not that I am wishing for spring or anything. We have barely had winter & If we skipped spring, I would skip my wedding....

With that said, since Nancy posted about bluebonnets - once of the very few things that I miss about Texas, I decided to post a shot of Washington DC in the spring.

Back to quilting. Last night I trimmed more I Spy Charms... I am getting close to actually cutting from yardage.... I really got into Ami Simms Picture Play Quilts back when it was published several years ago. I even took a class with her on the subject. (I drove for several hours, over 100 miles bright and early in the morning to take it...) I needed novelty prints for the class & She has a way of getting them - similar to makeing swiss cheese - but she has a way of using the "left overs" too. So I traced around the "image finder" and rough cut for several sizes - I was going to make all of those quilts! I trimmed many for the class, but a whole lot more sat un-trimmed until now! Those big enough are becoming Nickels, those not big enough are becoming 3.5 inch squares. (I am almost finished trimming them!)

And I also cut some background strips for the "Not Americana, Americana Quilt." (7x9 layout, mix of red, white, & blue - somehow....)

Which reminded me of an abandoned UFO.... Scrappy blue & yellow (white background) double Irish Chain. I should have had 1 of those colors be the center with the other color on either side, but I didn't Now I am not happy with my results. So I am going to seam rip FOREVER to get the 5 inch squares - so I can trim them down to 3.5 for the Americana quilt.

I have germinal ideas on how to use the rest of the blue & yellow & white bits.....a ton of 4-patches are already made (I just need to release them.) as are quite a few rows of 5 squares - I might do this (scroll down to December 15) with them. We'll see - I still need to find the UFO and seam rip the big squares out....

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing your spring. And me, I'm always wishing for spring. It's my favorite time of year. Not that we've had winter yet. It's been in the mid 70s to low 80s now for about a month. We're having a "cold" spell today where it will only get to mid 60s then back up in the 70s again. This might be SE Texas but it's not usually THIS warm in January! Makes me want to get out and plant my garden and hope that we don't get any freezing weather. Heck seeds are cheap, I just might do it anyway.

Laurie Ann said...

Busy girl!! Great pic of DC in the spring. My brother lives in Silver Spring and it's been awhile since I've visited him in the spring. Usually I end up coming out in the fall. Love the spring cherry blossoms though!

Mary said...

I love DC in the spring.

I also have the Picture Play book but haven't done a quilt out of it yet. I've been saving the scraps from the kiddie quilts I donate and plan on making one. I like how she uses the leftover fabric for the border too.

Laurie said...

Amy,
Beatiful Pic! Thanks for sharing!!! It's snowing here!
Hugs,
Laurie

Finn said...

Thanks for reminding us that spring will come..*VBS* And I see you are managing to stay busy..not sure how on earth you keep that many projects straight..LOL..I don't feel so bad about mine anymore..*G*

quiltpixie said...

Sounds like you have lots on the go, and are enjoying it all. Way to go!

Tonya R said...

I made a little houses quilt once with blue and yellow and white. Unfortunately. I hated how there was no contrast, no zing with the yellow and white where they went together and the whole quilt was soooo blah. I ripped it all apart. From now on I'll work with JUST blue and yellow, if I try that again.