Friday, January 27, 2006

"oh my aching back...."

Have I mentioned that a little under two weeks ago, I hurt my back..... (I must have, this is a first & I have mentioned it to every set of ears/eyes around!) If not, well I did & I don't know how.
I did not try to lift anything, I did not fall, I did not twist, etc. Believe me I have tried to figure it out.

So on Wednesday last week, I stayed home - the pain was so bad that I had to crawl to the bathroom. I used heat and Nuprin for the pain. I felt good enough to return to work on Thursday. I kept taking the Nuprin about daily. Saturday I went ot my swimming lesson - no problems & the hot tub felt great on my back. Along comes Sunday night and I had cramps like you wouldn't believe... (The timing was right... I know, just what you need in addition to a backache, huh?) Monday morning - NADA (I still had the backache) so I am asking all of my female co-workers, "What gives?" STRESS was the resounding answer. By Tuesday, I not only started but the pain in my back was horrendous! (I stayed home again. I hadn't missed school or work becasue of that in EONS.) Last night we had the second fitting for my wedding gown and followed that with Sushi. I misjudged the rise on the stairs when we were leaveing the restaurant and boy did I know it! I even winced out loud from the pain. Then I got home (And found a parking space - THANK YOU for that miracle.) and bent down next to my car to set my bag down so that I could take out my gown to bring it inside and hang it up....

That was the official straw that broke this camels back.... I felt firey bursts of pain run down my legs and stayed there for a long time.

So instead of waiting until Wednesday when I have my annual check-up, I am going to try to get in to see my Dr. today.....

Needless to say, there hasn't been too much sewing going on in my little corner of DC.... Although standing is one of the better positions for me and I did cut some while standing. (Trimming 6.5 inch squares down to 5 inchers for my I SPY quilts.)

Also on the quilting front, I got some new to me kitty fat quarters yesterday in the mail from a swap! There were a few that I already had, but more is more & they are welcome! I also got some Oriental fat quarters - most of those were new to me too!

Final note, I am in a birthday fat quarter swap with one of my yahoo groups and I got a lovely new to me (but I did get a charm of it for my cat charm quilt - so I know it is older...) kitty fat quater. That one is going into my I SPY quilts - becasue it is chock full of words and sayings...

I hope all of you are faring better than I & I hope to have a photo to share soon!
Wish me luck with the Dr.....

13 comments:

Gina E. said...

Sounds like you have a pinched nerve somewhere on your spine which is causing sciatica (the pain down your legs - also called referred pain because it stems from one spot but 'feels' in another). Do you have any chiropractors nearby? They are your best bet for an initial 'quick fix', although to fix it properly, you may need regular visits for a few weeks or even months. No, I'm not a chiropractor myself! But hubby and I have both suffered back pain and we have had the best results from chiropractors.

QuiltingFitzy said...

If the Dr. refers you for physical therapy, don't hesitate. I have ALWAYS poo-poo'd that idea, 2 visits per week which seemed to last forever...until I was referred last year. It took 3 months to get rid of the pain, but their deep-tissue massages and small exercises they had me do helped tremendously.

Please look at very routine things you do. I have tri-focals and find that I am pinching a nerve in my neck when I'm lifting my head to see out of the stronger power of my lenses. I've lowered my computer monitor and my sewing cutting surface area to allow me to not have to pitch my chin up in the air! It ususally stems from something VERY SUBTLE.

Hope you feel better soon.

cher said...

no fun to deal with chronic pain...hope you find an answer soon!

Laurie Ann said...

Sending healing thoughts your way. Let us know what the doc says!

Patti said...

Amy, I am SO sorry that you are hurting so badly. Back pain is always horrible. I second going to the chiropractor. I didn't for years and years - my folks always called them quack doctors. Finally a friend talked me into trying it - and the results were fabulous. I feel so much better since I've started having her work on me a few times a year.

I remember you well from Stashbusters - I'm not on that list any more. I've read your blog from start to finish now and enjoyed catching up with you again.

Deb R said...

Dang, Amy, between the back problems and the gift registry snafu, it sounds like it's been a rough week. I hope things get better soon!!

Marilyn said...

Amy,
I've had back problems before and it was no fun at all. I hope your doctor can figure out what the problem is and get you on your way to recovery very quickly.

Marilyn

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Amy, I hope you are feeling better soon. Back pain is just no fun.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Laurie said...

Amy,
I hope you find relief soon! Nothing worse than back pain.
Hugs
Laurie

Sandra said...

I agree with Gina e about the possibility of a pinched nerve - it can happen when you turn over in bed. Hope it gets sorted soon - and take it easy - even rotary cutting puts pressure on your back. REST!

quiltpixie said...

Hope you're able to find relief soon. Backs can be so touchy, and you really do get a sense of how central they are to all movement.

I've dropped charms in the mail to you, but from Canada they may take a while depending on your customs diligence...

Sharon said...

I agree with quiltingfitzy about the physical therapy. I have always had trouble with my lower back, especially doing the things you mentioned that got your attention. Turns out after much testing, the doc sent me for pt, and the pt guy said that I was REALLY REALLY tight across the sacral area which in turn came from my hamstrings and my hip flexors. *HIS* diagnosis? Stress and lack of stretching. So everyday I do hip flexor stretches and hamstring stretches before I even get out of bed. There are some pretty good "boxed" sets of stretches you can get at Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstores. This might help you toO!

Barb said...

Eek, I'm just catching up on my blog reading. Happy belated birthday wishes! And may I suggest you see a chiropractor? Seriously. Without one, I'd be incapacitated. No need for drugs, and they can do wonders. I work on concrete and often do physical labor. I have done lots of things to my poor body (dislocated my shoulder even), but it's still working due to chiropractic care. My x-rays prove the point--very little aging evident, primarily from the care I've received.