Tuesday, January 03, 2006

goals update.....



I posted about this quilt earlier, but I wanted to show it again bound and how on the back I used a left over Jewel Box block from the Brides Maids quilts in addition to a selection of "other" greens and reds. I just kept adding until it was big enough to be a back.

I forgot to even mention the Nickel Quilts that I want to make from the second book, More Nickel Quilts..... I want to do the cover quilt in Orientals. I am swapping Oriental fat quarters - then I'll be ready to count and make specific decisions on this one, but I have started to sort for this one. (I also want to add some taupe backgrounds that I need to cut.)
Also in that book, but not photogrpahed on the website I want to do Dawn to Dusk in batiks - those nickels have been together waiting for a while..... But I will arrange the blocks differently.....
And, I have three tops already sewn together from that book, pinwheels, Jacob's Ladder, & Beach Party. I may do Shoo Fly to use up my Robyn Pandolf nickels, not sure yet.....

And then there are "nickel friendly" patterns..... For example, those die cut hearts that are sold throught the Keepsake Quilting catalog fit perfectly in a nickel - I have a top where I appliqued a set of the Jewel Toned ones on to black nickels. (I have no idea "why" I bought them, but I have finally used them!) With that said, I want the blues ones for a pile of WOW nickels.....

Last night I finished trimming my nickels for the stretched star (I have 150 - need to take out 9) and started to trim the background to make the corner triangles..... Of course mine will be different but the main background will be a moda marble in teal. Not my color, but I have a chunk of it in my stash, so I am using it like a good stash quilter! I actually inherited it from a quilty friend who died of cancer several years ago - I smile every time I use a "Lynda fabric."

Cher mentioned that she hope that I do not tire of using my nickels - I am hopeing that the variety will keep my interest in addition to the fact that I have them ready as kits....

Photos in my next blog, I just needed to get this down in cyberspace - part of my reminder - reminders help me reach my goals..... (So get ready to read updates & if you don't see them feel free to ask - I might need some motivation.....) The squeeky wheel......

6 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

I have those same hearts and have not done ONE thing with them, can't wait to see pictures!

cher said...

count on us to remind you then Amy.
you sure are the nickel queen !
lol, Cher

Nancy said...

I do love your runner but I have to admit I like the back better than the front. (Not that I don't like the front!) One side is elegant and the other scrappy and fun. So I guess you could just flip it to serve your mood, huh.

Laurie said...

Amy,
I too LOVE the cover of the second nickel quilt book...I'm thinking batiks! It's so pretty and I love the way it flows. I've yet to make one from either of the books. Are the directions well done? Simple to follow?
Hugs
Laurie
PS...the runner is awesome!

Marilyn said...

Amy,
You have way more nickels than I do! I started swapping them and then couldn't get enough of the right pairs together. I do have a good supply of Asian fabrics, so I'd be happy to cut some nickels from them and send them your way if you want them.

I have a nice set of jewel tone and neutral nickels, but I'm not really sure what I want to do with them. As I had said in a previous entry on my own blog, I plan to make a nickel quilt from my 1800's repros. I have a drawer full of fq's. I may do Paducah 9-patch, but I really like one in the More Nickel Quilts - the name escapes me at the moment.

Love the table runner!

Marilyn

Jules said...

I have always wanted those hearts, but could never figure out what to do with them.