Thursday, December 29, 2005

zig zag or ric rac what ever you call it, call it done!

This is obviously not an Amy quilt (although I am known to add in stripes and plaids & those tonal blues and yellows would be welcome in a blue and yellow quilt any day....) but I have been "stretching" myself artistically. So this is my all Robyn Pandolf quilt. It is a zig zag quilt (click for free directions.) My size was based soley upon how many nickels I could get out of my 1 piece of background fabric. It took me a while to figure out how to get the units top actually zig-zag. I am sure some of the people I asked were thinking, "How dumb is she?" But I could not "see" it. (Its the way the two rows go together & I was convinced that each row would zig or zag.) I hope you enjoy the close up as well as the back. (These aren't my fabrics, so I wanted to use it up!) I actually wrote my label on the stripes on the back. This might also be my first piano key border. The binding is not shown here, but it is scrappy as well. :o) Aren't those free hand feathers great? I was so happy with that choice. I thought I wanted straight zig-zag lines for the quilting... (My friend thought I was ill when I showed her my "Sweet" quilt. I like it, but I am glad to have Robyn out of my system.
By the way, I also have one Thimbleberries quilt (unstarted but I know the pattern...), a couple Civil War Reproductions (2 UFO's - partially pieced) and a couple 30's reproduction quilts in me.....


16 comments:

heather said...

I love that pattern.

trish said...

Amy, I love the ric rac quilt, especially the pieced back and the free-form feathers! Great job!

trish
www.randomthreads.com

Nancy said...

Quilt looks great. I can really see this pattern done in brights or batiks so I just might have to try it with one of those.

Also, thanks for the photo you sent. I loved seeing you and Michael together. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send you one of me and David. I have one from Christmas last year I'll dig out this weekend.

Mary said...

Love the zig-zag pattern. I have one of these on my list but was planning a scrappy version from stash. Your's looks great and I like the feathers too.

Holly said...

I LOVE your zig zag quilt... love the color choices, the backing, the border.. everything about it! I'm so jealous you can machine quilt - it's not in my genes :) You do nice work, Amy, in all your quilts. Good picture of you, too.

Laurie Ann said...

Hmmm... another pattern to add to my notebook. Really love it and even though they are not my colors either, I really like them all together. Thanks for posting the link to the pattern!!

quiltpixie said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully. I too would have found the layout to get the zig zag confusing, as when I firts looked at it (without the close up) I thought it was done quite differently than it is.

Finn said...

Great quilt Amy...when I did the first little zigzag quilt, I had to lay out all the hst's to actually see which way they went next...LOL. Love the backing, good way to get that fabric used up and GONE!

cher said...

nice finished quilt Amy-good to stretch yourself...those are not my colors either lol. Cher

Laurie said...

Amy,
It is a soft quilt...and sometimes those are good! ;) You did a great job on it! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs
laurie

JudyL said...

Very pretty quilt!!

Judy

Debra Spincic said...

Great picture of you!

I think this quilt would be a good one for the Quilts of Valor. Thanks for providing the link.

Samantha said...

I'm not a Robyn girl myself, but in that nifty zig-zag pattern, it looks very cool! Nice! Hey, we're neighbors in the Quilter's Lounge, BTW!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Amy, thanks for sharing the pattern link. I love how dainty your quilt looks! I might make mine with novelties for my Little Boy - we will see... so many great quilt patterns, so little time.

Just got to ask... Do you piece on your Featherweight???

Cheers!

Evelyn

Jeanne said...

Happy 2006, Amy! Ha, I LIKE thiese colors!!! :)

Sandra said...

I like this quilt so much I have already got my fabrics organised to do one later in the year! I just need to buy some background. Thanks for the pics.