Wednesday, December 21, 2005

An item for my wedding


For your viewing pleasure, here is a table runner that I made to cover the challah at my wedding. (Those fabrics were used in the quilts that I made for my Brides Maids.) It is an older Atkinson Designs pattern. It will be bound with the fabric that was used as the narrow inner border.

At my wedding reception, this will be used to cover the challah. Which usually leads to the question, "Why do you cover the challah?" Here are two accepted reasons:
The first explanation comes from the time of the Israelites' wanderings in the wilderness, when God sent manna from heaven each morning to feed them. The loaves are covered with cloth, like the manna was covered with morning dew.
There is also a perceived ethical lesson in the practice. Since we bless the wine before the challah, we cover the challah so that we do not hurt its feelings. In The Committed Life: Principles for Good Living From Our Timeless Past (Harper Perennial), Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis writes: "Obviously, challah does not have feelings, but our sages wanted to impart a lesson to us. If bread, which is inanimate, must be treated with such care and consideration, how much more so must we be on our guard not to embarrass or hurt a person." (BTW Both of the blessings are to thank G-d for providing the wine or bread rather than actually "blessing" the item.)

And occasionally, "What is a challah?" From the dictionary: A loaf of yeast-leavened egg bread, usually braided, traditionally eaten by Jews on the Sabbath, holidays, and other ceremonial occasions.

Just wanted to share. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas or Hanukkah & I'll catch up on Tuesday. Now I am off to sew on some cat blocks. :o)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Morning Amy. I know you don't celebrate Christmas so I'll wish you Happy Holidays instead. :-) I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed your posts explaining a lot of the Judaic customs. Growing up I never knew anyone who was Jewish so I was never exposed to any of this. I've heard so many of the terms before and had no idea of the history behind them. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and faith with us.

Laurie said...

Amy,
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs
Laurie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Amy, all the quilting you are doing for your wedding is very impressive. Obviously you have thought long and hard about the patterns which would have the most meaning for you on this joyful occassion and will be very sentimental over the years. I wish you much happiness.

Cheers!

Evelyn