Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Chanukah & Nickel Quilts (a discourse on my style) SCRAPPY!



If you know anything about me and quilting, you know that I do not care for paper piecing. However, Judaic designs are few and far between so I bought this one from paper panache. (There are a lot more available now, but this quilt is several years old.) Click on the hyperlink for one of my favorite resources for Judaic quilting, she has several patterns (if not all) available for sale. I own +90% of them! Another great resource for reading about and seeing quilts that others have made is Judaiquilt.

I was going to add another "mini-photo" of a bed-sized Hanukkah quilt, but the photo is TINY and only 1/4 of the quilt shows..... (It was photographed hanging over a clothes line....) However, I can describe it...

To being this will suprise a bunch of you but I used a Nickels Quilts pattern, "Millenium Stars" as my pattern. I luckily found a multi-colored Hanukkah print & a "goes with" star print. (VERY RARE - 90% of the Judaic prints offered are blue & white or Blue & yellow - not a problem perse as I like both of those, but...) So I pulled nickel charm pairs to go with the print. For the background, I found a light that looks like it was a kitchen countertop back in the 50's. I only had one 2.5 inch strip left when I finished the quilt top. I was sweating bullets on that one, because while I love scrappy, if 99.9% is 1 fabric and then you add in 1 more to finish the project - it looks like an oops instead of scrappy! (I changed a bit about how the block was pieced...)

The suprise above is that I used a Nickel Quilts Pattern.... Apparently, I use Pat Speth's books a lot and freely suggest them to people who want to do scrappy quilts but need a nudge....

From Pat Speth's two books, I have done.... Jacob's Ladder (similar to that shown in the book), Beach Party (Rather different that the one in the book) , & My pinwheel from More Nickel Quilts. Only the 1 photo so far. Unlike the first book, there are not any photos of the quilts in the book on the website. All three of mine are just tops. Also from the second book, I plan to do the cover quilt "Woodland Clover" in Orientals, & there is at least one that I want to do in Batiks.

Caveat.... The following hyperlinks are of photos from the book Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth, not my quilts - so if you have the book, you don't need to keep clicking on the links....

From the Nickel Quilts book, I have started Paducah 9-Patch (very similar coloring) & Shaded 4-patch (mine is Autumnal - sky blue background - and may be pieced more randomly - I only have it cut out not sewn - so my options are still open!) I plan to do Morning Star & Autumn Stretched Star with my novelty prints! I also plan to do Arlington Square, but the coloration is still up in the air(I am thinking black on white for the lights & brights for the rest...) Finally, the last three quilts I plan to do "Kitchen Sink" style - everything goes! They are All that Glitters, Tillies Treasures, & Sunny Lanes.

You might have noticed that my style varies (I mentioned a reproduction quilt, an Oriental quilt, some novelty print quilts, some batiks, and several bright quilts) This may be a bit misleading. You see I really like brights, novelty prints, batiks, & Oriental prints. But then I would see a quilt that someone else did & want something similar - so I have done a 100% Robyn Pandolf quilt (her style is too sweet for me...) and I am persevering through two repro. quilts in addition to a few other "Non-Amy" style quilts all as an exercize in "Stretching" myself....

Besides my "Main" thing is scrappy and when I want to do a blue & yellow quilt, I want a lot of different blues and yellow prints, not just the bright ones!

9 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Wow, I have heard those books mentioned before, but have never seen examples. I love them! I got some money for Christmas and that may be what I need to use it for. I really like that morning star quilt and it would really be a good pattern for showcasing my dog fabrics.

Holly said...

Happy Chanukah, Amy! I love your scrappy style and reading about Jewish history and traditions.

Debra Spincic said...

I pieced the Hawaiian shirt from Paper Panache this summer. It was a swap I hosted on the about.com forum and we recieved some really cute shirts.

It's in my photo album (look on my blog) titled Quilts made in 2005.

Laurie Ann said...

Which book is "Morning Star" in?

The Calico Cat said...

Laurie Ann - I wish I could reply directly to you.... Morning Star is in the first book, Nickel Quilts. It is/was a free pattern on a fabric designers web site once upon a time ago.... (But they used 6 inch squares.) Here it is on quilters cache too: http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/MorningStarQuilt.html

Jane Ann said...

I love "Nickel Quilts" and work on a Paducah Nine-Patch when I'm bored with other projects. In fact I like most of what's in that book. I've browsed "More Nickel Quilts" but don't seem to want to buy it. So glad I have the first one, though.

quiltpixie said...

May you enjoy Hannakah.

Anonymous said...

Happy Chanukah Amy! I too love Nickel Quilts and look forward to doing a few in the first book.

Cher

Samantha said...

Love that paper pieced menorah!