Wednesday, December 28, 2005

As promised....

Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to share one of my earliest and most favored quilts. Well here it is! I uploaded it from a disk. (Yes they are still around!) To begin, I found this pattern in a Christmas magazine (No idea what publication/issue number or date). The original used 3 fabrics, red for the large triangles, green for the small rectangles and white for the background. I was such a novice, I have no idea why I did not mimic the three fabric selection in blue, yellow, and white.... (Boy am I happy that is didn't this is my first of many scrappy quilts.) That year (2000-2001) yellows were hard to find, at least for me - where I was looking. By then I had found a LQS or two, Seminole Sampler & Bear's Paw, both in the Baltimore area. (I was still new and did not have a stash, nor did I know how to buy fabric....) Most of the blues I got in a swap. In theory, the blues should have all been dark, but as I have mentioned previously, I like to use as many as possible from the color instead of worrying about the value. I think it worked, don't you? This is only a small portion of the quilt & it definately shows my best piecing. Back then I thought 1/4 was "optional" and I did not know about trimming all of your blocks to 1 size. So there are areas where the points definately do not match... It is quilted Stitch in the Ditch (I wanted something "different" but my piecing skills or lack there of negated that!) by our very own JudyL and unfortunately the binding is the backing rolled over.... (I used extra wide muslin on the back)
For the blue triangles, I used the EZ ruler like Lucy. Scroll down to "geese block." The yellow triangles were made using thangles. There is no "border." There are enough block & to me it was not needed. Sometimes borders are not needed.... How would you have bordered it? (I still ask myself that question & I am still happy with my decision - no border.)

I still like this quilt. I love the way it "glitters" & all of those wonderful fabrics still make me smile.

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Thank you for sharing this quilt. I like it too!!!!. Lovely ruler hè!

Lucy said...

me again ,I love this pattern very much , can you show a picture in front of the quilt?

Jeanne said...

I LOVE your scrappiness! Twenty or thirty blues are ALWAYS better than just one or two:) I probably wouldn't have done a border, either, since the piecing itself is so striking. My first two quilts have the backing turned over for binding, then the quilt police came to my house. I guess I *could* go back and add binding ... but we know I never will!

Finn said...

Beautiful quilt Amy, you are soooo prolific..I'm amazed at how many quilts you have done already in your young lifetime!!

Laurie said...

GORGEOUS!!! I love that pattern!
Hugs
Laurie

Nancy said...

Yet another beautiful quilt! I love the blue and yellow and agree that you should use all shades of blue, etc instead of just a few. Makes for a much more interesting quilt. So far I've loved everything you've had to share.

Nancy said...

Forgot to say I almost always just roll the back to the front for the binding. I've been doing this for years and have had no problems. I make quilts to be used and could care less what the quilt police say. It's been my experience that as often as I wash my quilts the fabrics in the body start wearing out just as quickly as the binding does. So I'll continue to roll my back to the front (or the front to the back on a few occasions when the back didn't co-ordinate as well as I would have liked) and just thumb my nose at the quilt police. So far I've never had anyone turn down one of my quilts because they didn't like my bindings. :-)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Very ambitious quilt for an early quilt! Looks great and i like the scrappy blues. I have a few early quilts with rolled over bindings too and they have held up very well. Actually, my son uses one I made when I was 16 for my Mom as his baby crib blanket - he saw it in the closet and stole it! So far, so good with the binding - so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I can't believe you have been quilting for only - what - 5 years?!!! You have made so many quilts in such a short time.

I would not have put a border on this quilt either. Lets the stars go on indefinately.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carolyn said...

This is a beautiful quilt! All those triangles...eek! I like Seminole Sampler too, but never made it to the Bear's Paw. The one time we tried to get there it was closed. Do you go to Capital Quilts? A friend of mine works there.

Morah said...

LOVE THIS QUILT! Wish you still had the pattern....guess I will just keep checking back and drool over yours!

Mama Koch said...

I'm like Lucy, I want to see an upclose picture of the block. This is really pretty!

And to of made this as a beginning quilter...good job.