Monday, November 28, 2005

slow

& to think I thought my computer was slow.... This one is painfully slow - but apparently adequate.

Fabric styles... Any one have definate style prefrences? I really do not care for 30's (to name 1 style) but I have collected some - they have great novelty prints. & their scale works well for scraps. With all of that said, my cousin is pregnant and we do not know the sex of the baby. So I thought that 30's are generic enough if you mix in enough of the colors. I have decided to do a charm quilt in 30's for the infant. This way I am sure to use a good mix..... My point (other that just babbling) I have over 200 charms..... (Granted several - 50 - were given to me) but still....

So I am going to make the baby quilt, get my novelty charms for my "I Spy" (s) I have enough for several..... and then figure out of to make "Moose Muffins" out of those 30's!

"Moose Muffins" - Anyone care to guess what they are? Any one heard the term before? I think there is a childs book that talks about them.... from a quilting POV they are what you call using us every last usable bit... Starting with your original block(s) moving into secondary "charms", finishing with "crumb" blocks.... Problem... I am not into crumb/mile a minute blocks.....

FYI my main blocks are 5 inch charms, 3.5 inch charms, 2x3.5 charms - finishing with Irish Chain blocks that use 1 inch squares. After that..... (probably rubbish bin... I may donate some of the bigger pieces to someone who uses scraps...)

Sewing update, I finished my star fling blocks last night - now to sew them into rows..... & figure out the border.....

4 comments:

Finn said...

Sounds like your repro fabrics are getting used and you are getting lots of mileage out of them. I am on a similar course..to get them used up...have lived with the "what was I thinking???" long enough now...*G*

Tropical Screamer said...

When I first started picking up fabrics, all I wanted to buy was blue batiks. Then I started buying different colors of batiks. All plain.

Now they are my least favorite fabrics. I still love batiks, but now I want patterned batiks. And patterned cottons. The fabrics that I thought were my favorite are my least favorite for quilting.

Funny how your taste changes as your quilting style evolves, isn't it?

Aloha,
Darilyn

Barb said...

My favorite fabrics are juvenile prints, or anything that is funky novelty. And I gravitate to aloha prints too. I have scraps coming out of my ears right now, so I plan to make a simple quilt to give myself some more room (just so I can fill the space with more fabric finds, lol). I also want to get back to a quilt I was making for a boyfriend. He's long gone, so now it's mine all mine. I'll post a pic of the work in progress soon, and you can tell me what you think.

Sharon said...

Favorite fabrics? LOL! The answer is YES! I seem to gravitate mostly to wild colors and lots of textures. My hubby loves the Aunt Gracie's 30's prints, and everytime I think I have them about used up, what does he do? He goes out and buys me more! How many more of these quilts do I want to make? LOL! recently I've been falling in love more with the Moda Blackbird Designs. Not muddy dark colors, but more subdued than the brights I usually like.

So what are Moose Muffins?