Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Question, I'm in trouble

Question - how much background (Solid 30's) should I get? I want to do a single Irish Chain - so I need several 2 inch squares for the 9 patches and several 5.5 inch squares for the alternating blocks and finally enough for the borders/binding.... (Not to mention the fact that I inherited 5 Carpenter's Wheel blocks, that I thought I would add solid squares too - to finish it....)

Same question for other solids like pink, green, yellow, and blue - only less as I do not plan to Irish Chain them, but I do plan to use them as borders - at a minimum - no idea what size quilts, but mine tend to grow....

I am in trouble - I got my Hancock's of Paducah catalog yesterday. (I did not get it for a while and was a little sad - but in retrospect that was a good thing.) I go through catalogs rather methodically... I go through and turn the corners - gut level... I go back through & make sure that I did not choose black & white polka dots twice & that I like everything after seeing it all.... I then go through with a pad of paper and pen and write down what I would like.... I then look and see - why do I like/want it.... I then scratch out and go back through to see what is still on the list. Then I start to decide on quantities & tally - then go through and rethink the "just because" or "because it is on sale" choices.... Then I try to think long and hard on the things I already have going (FAR TOO MANY!) & how I will use this next bit. I then set it all aside for a day or two - so I can revisit it later.... I am now in the rethinking section of my shopping experience...

Good thing... There are no Asian Prints or Batiks on my list, the only cats are black & white (Two of my collecting categories) A few are selected for backgrounds and a few are selected for binding... Can you tell I am trying to rationalize.....

2 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

A very general answer--what is your longest length of border? My quilts (king sized) are 110" long. So if I want a continuous border without any piecing, I buy 2 ½ yds & cut on the lengthwise grain.

My very general rule of thumb is that you can get just about anything out of 3 yds of fabric.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I have a great book for Irish Chain quilts - Time for a Chain - The Irish Chain Updated by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan - published by Possibilities. THAT being said - this book says for Single Irish Chain - if you are cutting 2" strips, your other squares need to be 5" (you mentioned 5.5", so you might want to double check this measurement by making a sample block first). This book says 3 5/8 yard for background if making a quilt 62X92 (finished size with borders, etc.) or 6 5/8 yard for 82X97 finished size. If you make a Double Irish Chain, you would need less background fabric because you would have additional fabric chains. I am sure there are other measurements/sizes out there - this is just one reference. Hope that helps - would hate for you to run out of your background fabric 1/2 way through a project.

Cheers!