Tuesday, November 29, 2005

moose muffins

"If you give a moose a muffin" by Julie Numeroff - childrens lit. Basic premise - if you give a moose a muffin he will ask for jam....

In quilting, Moose Muffins are where you take a collection of fabrics - 30's for example and you start by makeing a quilt - whatever you want - you have a bunch of fabric at this point. Then you trim your scraps into "charms" maybe those are 5 inch squares - where you can either sew them together into a charm quilt or make any variety from either Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth or More Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth. Then you take and trim the rest into some other small bit, I trimmed mine into 2 inch squares (The 1 inch proposed yesterday was TOOO small for me) and mixed with a background, turn them into a single Irish Chain quilt. And finally, with the smaller than 2 inch squares including the funky shaped bits you can make crumb quilts (I don't bother...)

So to wrap up the idea - If you give a quilter a fabric collection, she can make a primary quilt, a secondary quilt, a tertiary quilt, possibly a quarternary quilt, & finally a crumb quilt.

At least that is my take on the subject....

2 comments:

JudyL said...

Amy, I wish you hadn't posted this! I get on this kick where I'm not going to save smidgens of fabric so I throw away tails and corners and pieces *normal* quilters would throw away. Then I go to bed and I lay there and think of things that could be done with those tails and corners and I get up and dig in the trash, rescue the pieces and then . . I go back to bed, knowing I'm nuts!

Maybe I'll send you a box of crumbs! :)

Judy L.

Laurie Ann said...

How about you give a moose a muffin and he makes crumbs!!!!

Ha!

I know what you mean about your cat fabrics. I do the same thing with dog fabrics. It is something I allow myself to collect without having one idea of what to do with it.